Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my D hasn't gotten to the recall yet, Dodge won't help and I have the following VERY bad parts:

Upper Ball Joints
Lower Ball Joints
Inner Tie Rods
Front/Rear Shocks

It has 111k miles on it...

Anyway, it appears like replacing these (labor-wise) is reasonably simple. I can turn a wrench for basic stuff (brake jobs, strut replacement on other cars, tranny removals, etc.)....

So, is there anything I'd need to watch out for, or that may give me fits or slow me down?

From what I can see, it's just a bunch of bolts and castle bolts, nothing special, am I right?

Also, is there anyplace I can go to get torque specs for when I replace the parts??

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
weeow... I wish but parts are under $300... truck has 110k and is just a basic transpo car....

I did some research tho and see I have to have a pickle and also need to grind out the ball joints...

Oh wait maybe not... they were replaced before :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just found my receipts, the lower ones were replaced before. From what I've read the upper ones are "relatively" easy to get the rivets out... evidentally the lower rivets are the PITAs.

Wish me luck, I pick up the parts in the morning and have to be done before I sleep Thursday night.

I shouldn't have stayed up and gone to see Star Wars tonight :)

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
JeremyG said:
Just found my receipts, the lower ones were replaced before. From what I've read the upper ones are "relatively" easy to get the rivets out... evidentally the lower rivets are the PITAs.

Wish me luck, I pick up the parts in the morning and have to be done before I sleep Thursday night.

I shouldn't have stayed up and gone to see Star Wars tonight :)
ya, they are a PITA to get out (the bottom ones). i just did all this a couple weeks ago. was a weekend job.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, so the bottom ones have already been replaced, I pulled the clip out but can't for the life of me figure out how they come out? Up? Down?

The new part looks like it would slide up from below but the old part looks like it has a lip that wouldn't allow it to slide down?

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
wow!!!... what is it with all these Ball Joint threads latlely :sorry:

do a search of all the threads iv responded too, both here and Dak USA....

"The new part looks like it would slide up from below but the old part looks like it has a lip that wouldn't allow it to slide down"

when ya finally getthe old one loose/out, it will slide out of a pocket in the lower control arm. the joint points DOWN and has four bolts to put it back in with. torque to ~60ftlbs

1 - 8 of 8 Posts