Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced my heater core about a month ago. Ever since then, I've been smelling coolant in the cab with the heat on (don't smell it when I have it on cold), and have been losing coolant faster than I did before I replaced the core.

I have found drops of coolant on the flap that goes under the radiator right behind the bumper. I'm thinking I may have damaged the lower hose. The part that doesn't add up is why I smell it with only heat.

I'd like to think the new core wasn't leaking, and I would hate to tear it all apart again. Any experienced the smell of coolant in the cab for a reason other than a heater core? Or any other ideas?

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
A leaking heater core is really the only reason to smell coolant in the cab. If you have a leaking heater core you should be able to see a trace amount of coolant come out of the heater box drain. Is there a chance that you didn't get the heater box cleaned out well enough when you changed the heater core and you are smelling residual??

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wiped out all the coolant, but I didn't take a cleaner and wipe it all down...

This brings me to a couple questions now. I did locate a leak. Coming from where the lower hose meets the radiator.

1. How tight does a hose clamp need to be (I feel like I have it almost as tight as can be, but once the engine reaches temperature there seems to be a slow trickle slipping by. Also don't want to damage the nipple). I should also mention I did away with the stock clamp as it took half an hour to get off, so now its the type with a screw in it.

2. What is the purpose of that piece of plastic that is under the radiator. Kind of feel like leaving it off as I'm always trying to get dropped tools off it, and gets in the way of finding problems like this...

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I don't know what you are using to tighten the clamp so I can't say how tight you have it but if it is still leakingtighten it some more. I use a 8 mm 1/4 inch drive socket to tighten the hose clamps..or whatever size the hose clamp screw is. The clamp should make a slight impression in the hose when tightened properly. Alos make sure the hose doesn't have any buildup inside where it rides on the radiator adn vice versa.

As far as you cover goes, I'm not sure which one you are talking about but chances are that it is either there for protection or to help divert the flow of air through the radiator

1 - 4 of 4 Posts