Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I acidently poked a hole in my radiator when I tried mounting my e-fan to my radiator by anchoring screws into the fins of the radiator. I remember a guy at a radiator shop telling me that sometimes they just poke a penny into the hole and weld it there. Do you think I can just poke a penny into the hole and just melt it in there with my blow torch or would that just make things worse?

Any ideas would be apreciated.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Pull the radiator out and take it to a qualified radiator repair shop. If it's the aluminum/plastic rad some shops won't even mess with it although there is a special epoxy for fixing those. If it's a copper core it needs to be soldered by someone with experience and the proper materials to make a lasting repair. If you have never tried repairing one before it's best left to the pros.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
the core is the finned part of the rad. it cant be plastic. the tanks are plastic. Most liekly your radiator is alluminum or alluminum alloy. Car makers wont use copper on a truck these days. Alluminum is cheaper. Either way unless you know how to solder I woudl take it to a shop. Soem shops will work on it some wont. reason is the plastic tanks sometimes wont reseal. youll also be surprised to find out that sometimes the cost of repairing the radiator is almost as much as buying a new one. My work truck radiator was going bad. 350$ to repair or 275 to buy one from Kragen.
For soemthign like what you did I would call arouond to get a idea of the cost before driving around
Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.