Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, So I got sick of my purple windows. My old man spotted me the money for my B-Day so I can get my windows retinted. The Ex Cab windows are the stock dyed glass, and the back seems to be OK, but not dark enough... The front 2 windows however are BRIGHT PURPLE! I took a razor to them yesterday and removed o... about 1/2 the tint.

Is there a gooder way to get this crap off? Someone told me to cut a trashbag to match the shape of the window, spray on some Citruis Cleaner and put the trashbag on. This made the tint come off in 1/4" wide strips instead of big chunks... Citruis does however take the goo off the window rather well. I am peeling the old tint myself cause they told me it'd save me around $100, and that makes it worth some effort on my part (Specially since I got money for the whole retint job :biggthump )

·
Premium Member
74,416 Posts
Thats how I got mine off just used some good ol elbow grease and a razor .. What worked well for me was keeping it wet while I was doing it .. hope that helps ya out man.. good luck :biggthump

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Yea when I had to peel mine off i just used windex and a few sharp razors, use brand new razors for best results, and be careful about going across the window with the razor, and curvature of the glass could cause you to put scratches in the glass, go up and down with the razor, :biggthump Good luck man, get pics of the new tint :biggthump

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I got both the Drivers / Pass windows stripped clean, No Glue, No Scratches NOTHING, looks excelent. I am tryin to debate how dark I want to go now. I always roll down my window when I back up anywho... I am fairly convinced I am going to get 5% on all the back windows (so no one can see the stereo I am GOING to put in eventually) But I am thinking like 20% on the fronts, which is supposedly the legal limit here in Abq... Just sucks cause no one will do the 5% on the back windows, though It's legal to have to backs as dark as you want them (here in Sunny New Mexico atleast)

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
I had 20 percent on the front windows and it looked real nice, my friend has his explorers back windows all 5 percent, You cant see shit in there.

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Yea I think factory is around 35 or so, But Honestly I couldnt see any difference, And I was skeptical about it so I was really looking for it. My interior is dark so it looked nice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Start in a corner witha hair drier. Warm it up and graba corner to get it started. Keep it warm and slowly peal it off. Mine came off in one big piece and I had no glue left on the window.

MeanThree18 said:
OK, So I got sick of my purple windows. My old man spotted me the money for my B-Day so I can get my windows retinted. The Ex Cab windows are the stock dyed glass, and the back seems to be OK, but not dark enough... The front 2 windows however are BRIGHT PURPLE! I took a razor to them yesterday and removed o... about 1/2 the tint.

Is there a gooder way to get this crap off? Someone told me to cut a trashbag to match the shape of the window, spray on some Citruis Cleaner and put the trashbag on. This made the tint come off in 1/4" wide strips instead of big chunks... Citruis does however take the goo off the window rather well. I am peeling the old tint myself cause they told me it'd save me around $100, and that makes it worth some effort on my part (Specially since I got money for the whole retint job :biggthump )

·
Registered
548 Posts
I have double limo on the back 3 and it is a dark SOB in that truck. I wouldn't go past 5, you can't see anything behind you at night. Going down the freeway is nice, though, b/c you don't have to worry about the headlights behind you. You can hardly see them :biggthump . Then I have 35% on the sides which sucks, they just rescently made 25% legal so I'm thinking about updating my tint.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A heat gun does wonders. You can pick one up from Home Depot or Lowes for about $10. Slowly heat up the film and you'll be able to pull huge portions at one time. Heat the film as you pull doing a little at a time. It's all together possible to pull the whole sheet in on piece! Then use a solvent of your choice to remove the glue. The more film you can pull of at one time the easier it will be to get the glue off. Good luck.

K

·
0 Posts
Window tint

I used to tint for a living. Use amonia and a new razor.

The reason your tint turned purple is (no offense) you used cheap tint. What ever shade you use next time make sure you use good tint. Like Lumar. They have a life time warranty again fading and delamination (when you see the tint all bubbled up and coming apart from the window.)
You can also shrink it to the window with a heat gun when you are installing it. It is much better to pay to have the windows done professionally then to have to keep re-doing it.
35% is equal to factory
20% is dark but you can still see in on a sunny day
5%- is what everybody calls limo

The number have to do with the amount of light the film allows to pass through.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Mine came off with my fingernail and I pulled it came off in one sheet. It was soooo dark on the back window that I couldnt see anything in my reveiw through it at night. Took it off the next day after buying the truck.

I would try heating it up. I know I did mine on a really hot day.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well i ran across this little thread here and figured i would let in on it.. Well I have 2 layers of 5% on the back, ex. cab windows, and front strip, and 1 layer of 5% on the doors.. Well this is the whole reason behind this.. COPS..(should i say more) Well we had no tint law for a little while here in Georgia. dark as you want was fine but here lately the law has changed.. well i was one other the many that was like they are just goin to pull me over before they make me take it off.. well my day came. Last wednesday i was on the way to school. we have cops that direct traffic on this one way to school becus of the traffic. well i been through their a few times and no one said anything.. well my g.f. was with one of her friends and her friends parents (which her friends dad is the sheriff) well he was talkn about the tint law and asked my g.f. if i had dark windows.. well she kinda slipped and said yeah... well the next day i had a sherrif sittin on the side of the road waiting on me.. as soon as i turned on the road to go to school here were the blue lights. well now i have to strip all the tint except the back glass.. Just be careful for the tint law..sorry so long.. just looking out for ya... $$$$$$$$$$$ wise....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts