Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Frog Legs
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the exhaust manifold gaskets on my motor. There are two broken exhaust studs in the head. I am removing the heads and sending them out for re and re then buttoning her all back up again. I will try to take as many pics as I can remember to take.....cause we all like pics...lol

Wish me luck people.

·
Frog Legs
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah the cylinders.....I talked to a few people and the general consensus is leave the carbon as trying to remove it can cause hot spots. What I mean by that is if I scratch or score the top of the piston that can create a spot and allow for a hole to burn through...or something like that. I might seafoam it later.

·
this is dayadge country
207 Posts
I use one of these brushes in a drill to clean the top of the pistons.

Bring them up to tdc so you aren't hitting the cylinder walls, and lay old rags on the lifter valley and other cylinders. Blow them out when you're done with compressed air and wipe them clean with a rag and brake clean. I also use these wheels on the deck to clean off head gasket residue.

If it's going to be sitting awhile, spray some penetrating oil and cover the engine up with something. You should be able to get those nylon cup wheels at Princess Auto. Change the oil before running it too. Drain it, and with the plug out and pour some cheap oil into each valve cover to catch anything that might be stuck in any channels.

·
Frog Legs
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are a few pics. The first one shows the fuel rail/ injectors. Why when I pulled the injectors out was only the #6 injector wet??

Shows the carbon build up on the cylinders

The block cleaned of all old gasket material and ready for the heads to be re installed

·
Layin Low
1,313 Posts
The injector might be leaking due to the O ring being bad.

Autozone sells felpro kits and they work fine. If your truck has any kinda miles on it... they should be replaced with this kinda work lol

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Frog Legs
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again I was looking for the tightening sequence of the bolts, not the torque sequence. The order in which to tighten the bolts in.

No worries though since I got the motor 98% buttoned up tonight. All that was left to do was to install the serpentine belt, ad coolant and change the oil. When I was about to install the belt I noticed the tensioner puller was not sitting right. I removed it and then accidentally dropped it on the garage floor. Well I broke a piece off the plastic pulley....rendering it useless.

The fell pro head gasket kit is a good quality gasket kit. It has however left me with a half a dozen smaller gaskets that I don't need. Not sure if the V8 uses them but my V6 does not.

I also have one ground wire that I have no idea where it connects to. It is bolted to the firewall next to the a/c canister. It is about 24" long. There are three grounds bolted there, one goes to the block, the second goes to the a/c canister and the third...???????

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Again I was looking for the tightening sequence of the bolts, not the torque sequence. The order in which to tighten the bolts in.
:huh: The chart in the PDF I sent tells you which picture at the back to reference for the proper sequence.

·
Frog Legs
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the motor back together and I have driven it around a bit.....about 10km. I am now experiencing overheating issues. The thermostat is installed correctly...ie spring down. Before I started it I topped up the coolant via the cap in the upper rad hose. It seems like the thermostat is not opening. The upper rad hpse is hot to the touch but the lower rad hose is luke warm at best. I am going to let it cool down and pull the upper rad hose and put coolant into the block to see if I can eliminate the air lock. It seems to me like it is an air lock.

Also after driving it then shutting her off the water in the resevoir is boiling. Also while driving the fan runs constantly and the heater only blows hot while driving and not just idling.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I would check the usual suspects like bad thermostat first, I have had them bad right out of the box. Burping the system again to get all the air out is a good start.

Slim chance but are the head gaskets symmetrical or can they be installed upside down maybe blocking a cooling port?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts