Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I borrowed my buddies DA this past weekend to take my roof down to bare metal and primmer from there...

I learned 2 things,

1 The truck has atleast 4 complete Primer/Paint jobs on it.

2 My buddies 55 Gal Compressor WON'T KEEP UP with a DA

On topic 1, what the crap can I do? I know time and patience will take care of alot of it... But areas like around the windows, were I can't use a DA, how the crap am I supposed to remove all that paint? Just used 80 Grit and a sanding block?! I guess all good things come to those who wait, but damn!

I was just wanting to get it down to a good base so I could get a Maaco job sprayed on it without it peeling off 4 months later (I want it to last atleast a couple of years :rofl: ) and there are SO many paintjobs on it, it ALL must come off, cause they never went through the stock crap paint, so nothing has ever stuck since then...

HELP

·
Registered
73 Posts
Try a 3M paint wheel, I think thats the name, you put it into a drill and go to town. It looks like steel wool in the shape of grinding wheel. My friend took his alfa romeo down to the metal in a a few days using it. There is also spray on striper that you can use, spray it on, wait 30 minutes, and the paint pretty much falls off. Just be sure to clean the metal very good after using it since it leaves a bit of a residue.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I'll second the spray remover. I used some on an old Jeep I had. Spray it on and let it sit for a little while and you come back and literally just wipe the paint off. That was on an old paint job, but I think you could still at least get a lot of it off. It was just in a regular looking spray can and was labeled something like "Auto Paint Remover."

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We got some "aircraft stripper" at Napa, I've heard great things about it from body shops... Might try some, but I am not ready to paint it, can I strip it and cruise the primer?!

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha, I'm a *******... I call cruising Primer Mexican... Funny Stuff.. As is the truck is like 20% primmer anywho... LMAO

I think I am going to paint my truck using Rust X paint from Home Depot... That shit is impossible to chip off hahaha

I bet I could get a decent result outa that :biggthump

1 - 7 of 7 Posts