Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
... removing engine...difficulty separating it from trans...

OK, so I am pulling the engine out to inspect the bottom end.

Starter is off
Connector between engine, trans and diff is off.
Bottom structural cover between engine and bell housing is off.
Engine mount bolts are removed.
all of the bolts around the bell housing are double checked to be removed.

.... how the hell does this thing come away from the transmission? I have the slings on it and it is cradled in the hoist.

I have a jack under the front of the trans so I can move it up or down a little. I have not dropped the rear driveshaft or trans or anything like that. Does the trans need to come at all?

Do I have to remove the 4/6 (not sure how many) that are visible on the flexplate where I removed the structural cover?

I am just not sure how to get the pair apart. I need a bit of a play by play..

I might have a helper later today but as I am solo this morning, it seems like a good idea to ask those who have done it..
thanks,
Kevin

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Do I have to remove the 4/6 (not sure how many) that are visible on the flexplate where I removed the structural cover?

Kevin

Yes you need to remove these bolts...AKA torque converter bolts. You can get the engine/trans apart without removing them but it is only recommended doing it that way if the engine were seized and access to the bolts is impossible. Makes one hell of a mess if you take it apart this way.

Once you remove the bolts, lift teh engine enough to clear the motor mount brackets, jack up the front of the trans also, give it a good shake and it should come free of the trans...now putting it back in is another story

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
OK, so I am pulling the engine out to inspect the bottom end.

Starter is off
Connector between engine, trans and diff is off.
Bottom structural cover between engine and bell housing is off.
Engine mount bolts are removed.
all of the bolts around the bell housing are double checked to be removed.

.... how the hell does this thing come away from the transmission? I have the slings on it and it is cradled in the hoist.

I have a jack under the front of the trans so I can move it up or down a little. I have not dropped the rear driveshaft or trans or anything like that. Does the trans need to come at all?

I am just not sure how to get the pair apart. I need a bit of a play by play..

I might have a helper later today but as I am solo this morning, it seems like a good idea to ask those who have done it..
thanks,
Kevin
Stop...

Go get the book "How to rebuild Mopar Magnum v-8 Engines" by Larry Shepard"

It's priceless. Covers the removal and installation step by step....

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well .. Its done, It is out and in the engine stand.
Thanks for the pointers.

Getting it in looks like it might be some real work though. I removed it without breaking the seal on the AC system. I am just thinking of removing the smaller radiator that was between the radiator and the transmission cooler and going in from the front. (and just pay the man to re-purge the AC system after)

Now I have to let it sit for at least a couple of days because I have other work to do. I am out of town next weekend too so If (big if) I get all of my parts ordered by weeks end I will be happy.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
Well .. Its done, It is out and in the engine stand.
Thanks for the pointers.

Getting it in looks like it might be some real work though.
Now I have to let it sit for at least a couple of days because I have other work to do. I am out of town next weekend too so If I get all of my parts ordered by weeks end I will be happy.

you have a better pic of piston 6?

·
The Mad Scientist
581 Posts
If you think getting one of those 4.7L engines back in, you ought to try replacing it with a 5.7L.....lol! What reason did you have for pulling it, Mods planned or problems?

BTW, the heads look pretty clean sitting in the background there.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you have a better pic of piston 6?
Sure,

Here is the right bank #2 on right.

Here is the left bank #1 on right.

Here is a close up of #3. This is the main reason I am pulling the block.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
A little tip for when you go to reinstall everything...this comes from 3 years of doing nothing but removing, rebuilding and reinstalling engines by myself....when you go to put it back in get yourself 2 long tapered punches adn put them through the holes of the bellhousing on either side, then as you lower the engine and move it towards the trans the punches will help line everyhting back up will you mate everything together, and before you tighten the bellhousing bolts make sure that you can spin the torque converter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts