Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone removed their Clutch Fan? I'd like to hear from anyone (specially people in warm climates) who has. I need to remove mine to install new Stainless Steel Radiator Hose with Billet end caps. I'm worried about overheating issues, thanks.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I drove mine for a couple of weeks without changing to the 180 thermostat. No problems with overheating, but I am still having the thermostat installed. Not that hot here yet but it will be soon :biggthump. I read if you're worried about it overheating without it just keep it with you it goes back on in a snap. You will enjoy how much quicker the engine revs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I took mine off 2 years ago and replaced it with a Black Magic 150 electric fan. I live in Augusta, GA and have had not problems during the summer months.

·
Registered
112 Posts
i got a 160 stat, and was wanderin if i could remove my clutch fan. but didnt know about the overheatin situation. i want the engine to rev quicker, so should i remove it and leave it like that, or remove it and put on a flex a lite fan or somethin along those lines

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
Wait a minute...you guys are talking about teh big old black fan on the front of the engine? I realized that you shouldn't need it with the huge radiators. How much quicker will it rev? How do you take it off?

·
Registered
112 Posts
the new haynes manual for 2000-2003 dakota and durango says on older vehicles where the fan has been installed for awhile u will need a fan clutch wrench to hold the 4 water pump bolts while u take a big wrench to the bolt in front of the fan. in some cases u can apply pressure to the serpentine belt near the water pump and stop it from turning. i havent done this yet but will soon. those were the instructions in my manual.

·
Registered
107 Posts
cilrah said:
Has anyone removed their Clutch Fan? I'd like to hear from anyone (specially people in warm climates) who has. I need to remove mine to install new Stainless Steel Radiator Hose with Billet end caps. I'm worried about overheating issues, thanks.
No problems here in NW Florida and have been without the clutch fan for about 2 years now!
I also have a 180* T-stat installed.

·
auto tech
113 Posts
i have a 2000 4.7l and it has a fan on the engine and a electric fan so i took the engine fan off wasn't to hard i just left the belt on and a quick turn with a wrench brought mine off

·
Registered
107 Posts
Just bought a new 05 Jeep Liberty for the wife back in Dec, it has the 3.7 V-6 with no clutch fan only the e-fan, it came that way. The threads are there on the end of the pulley just like my truck after removing the fan.

Hope this helps out...

·
0 Posts
clutch fan removal

I have a higher milage dodge and when i came across a plastic clutch fan for free i took it. when i came to the part where i had to take my old fan off a quick turn of the wrench wouldent cut it. even with tension on the belt and all the pulley would do is just turn. all i did was is take a prybar about 2 feet long and set the tip of it on the nut close to an edge of the nut and hit the other end of my prybar with a large hammer. loosened the nut right up after a couple hard blows to it. spun it off and put the new plastic clutch fan on with a wrench and after it was tight enough to turn the pulley i hit the side of the wrench with the hammer to tighten the nut and assure myself that it would not come loose at 80 down the highway. I hope this helps anyone to remove or install a clutch fan. also u have to take the shroud off for removing the fan (just 4 bolts) nothing about this is very hard and takes about 10 min to 30 min depending on how much expierence with a wrench u have.

·
Registered
295 Posts
So is the electric fan (which I know runs when the A/C is on) thermostatically controlled to turn on at a certain temperature if the A/C is off? Similar to a FWD car, in other words?
Any idea what the OEM on/off temperatures are?

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
I just replaced my clutch fan with an electric fan and i immediatly noticed the difference in how it revs and even how much faster it starts, and you can feel the torque a little bit.

You can get a nice thermostat setup at Advance Auto Parts or VIP or something for like $60, it goes right in your radiator core and is completely adjustable, wire it up, then just let the engine warm up to where you want it to kick on (mine is about 160) and then turn the screw till the fan just starts up, and your done, VERY EASY!.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The factory turn on temp for the electric fan is 215 (little high I think for our trucks).

Turns back off at 200.

I took my clutch fan off and have been relying just on the electric with no problem. Had 85 degree day with the AC on high and no overheat.

I just would like to be able to turn the electric on at about 200 instead of 215.

chris
03 Durango RT

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
So, what all do I need to do to my 2001 QC 4.7 w/ AC?

Can I just remove the fan and be done with it, or do I need to do something else? I see people mentioning a t-stat swap to a 180. What is the stock temp?

·
Who needs a Hemi
411 Posts
The stock should be 195 I know that it was on my 2000 5.9l but the 4.7 may be different. Do you think if I removed my clutch fan I would have problems? I am in arizona and temps get to 115 in the summer.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
cilrah said:
If you haven't removed it already, it's not a difficult task. A local guy who used to own an R/T and perused this board regularly showed me how to do it easily with a MacGyvered tool he created. His setup had a simple bolt (1/4" x 3/4" if I remember correctly, like a valve cover bolt) threaded through a rectangular steel bar that was maybe 1/2" wide, 1/8" thick, and about 18" long. On the circular plate where the fan bolts up there is a handful of holes around its outer edge - feed the tool down and stick the bolt into one of these holes (not threaded, the hole is bigger- just stick it in). As you turn the fan the bar should rotate around and then bump up against one of the accessory bracket bolts, and that will hold the fan in place while you get a big wrench on the fan and twist it off (give the handle a good whack with a hammer if necessary).

The whole process took maybe 15 seconds once he showed me how to use it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Ok on 2000+ models there is an emergency electric fan in front of the belt fan, it kicks on at 210, a stock t-stat is 195, so if you buy a 180 t-stat for under $10 and then go to autozone and buy an electric fan t-stat relay for $40, you can take the belt fan off then install the t-stat and the relay and youll be fine

B

·
0 Posts
What do you guys think if I remove my stock belt fan on my 01 r/t cc in 100 deg atlanta heat with a k/b supercharger. I have the aux 16 inch stock electric fan If I wired it to run and I have a 160 tstat?? Think I will have issues??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts