Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Remote start question- IGNITION WIRES?

Last night I installed a remote start/alarm on my 00 durango slt. Everything went great except when the alarm is armed, you cant remote start it without the alarm going off. I read in another post that you could take the factory alarm disarm from the remote start module and put it to the lock/unlock wire with no resistor and this will momentarily disarm the system while it starts: yes or no? BTW this is a Bull Dog Security RS1300E system. Also if anyone is looking for a good system bulldog makes some good stuff. I have had the same remote start on 3 cars already and its been great. They even hooked me up with free resistors to make my install easy. Another also, for those who are looking for wiring guides the bull dog site is awesome- makes it hella easy for any car/system.

http://bulldogsecurity.com/diagrams/diagrams.htm

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,018 Posts
Thats correct a single pulse through the lock/unlock wire (lightgreen/orange) will disarm the alarm. A double pulse througha resistor is required to actually unlock it. If you look under your dash it's in the harness right to the left of that white box right on the firewall.

:biggthump

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure if anyone cares, but i found out more info on it. Both ignition wires have to be hooked up to work properly. Also in order to disarm the alarm temporarily to start the car, the FASD has to be hooked up to the lock/unlock wire. In my searches I found out you can cycle the key in the ignition and the DTC codes will show up in the odometer. So much better than having to take it somewhere for the codes to be read. Anyway, the codes i got are
p1596- speed control switch always high
p1698- No CCD/J1850 message from TCM/PCM

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the info boomin, i guess you were replying as i was updating

·
3,018 Posts
No problem

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got everything straightened out except i keep getting the P1698 code. I have been doing some searching and people say its due to the ignition wires not being hooked up properly. I have the Dark Blue as ignition #1 and Black/White as ignition #2. Does anyone know if this is correct? I have check around for other wiring diagrams and they all say something else is ignition 2. So far the possibilities are: Black/White, Green/Red, Black/Orange. HELP!!!

·
3,018 Posts
Ignition is Dark Blue, 2nd ignition is Green/Red. Black/White is second accesory, not second ignition! You also need to make sure the keysense (lt blue) gets grounded somehow when remote starting.

Good luck! :biggthump

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet, so you're sure about the green/red being ignition 2? i wonder what the black/white wire i have hooked up is. What is keysense? from the starter or from the vehicle?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used the yellow wire in the ignition switch harness

Now im really confused. My wiring diagram from the remote start company says:
Ignition 1 Dark blue
ignition 2 black/white
accessory1 black/orange

at the12volt.com wiring diagrams it says:
Ignition 1 Dark blue
Ignition 2 black/orange
accessory black/white

then i read over at durangoclub.com that for the 2000s it is
Ignition 1 Dark Blue
Ignition 2 Green/Red
Then later some guy jumped in the forum post and said it also has:
Ignition 3 Light Blue

Sooooooo what am i supposed to hook up??? i have been looking through the haynes manual at the wiring diagrams but nothing pops out at me.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After alot of playing around and testing its done and works without throwing DTC's.
Ignition #1 Dark Blue
Ignition #2 Green/Red
Acc Black/White and Black/Orange

The company who makes the remote start and the12volt.com wiring diagrams are both wrong. They even have different stuff listed. Anyway its all settled now. Thanks again for the help Boomin

·
3,018 Posts
I get my diagrams directly from DIRECTED so they are usually 99.9% right. and I told you black/white was accesory 2 in my reply. lol But yes you have it right now.

Black dak, you need ignition one and 2 powered up, and then when you push the buttonit will power up a single starter wire.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
everything works now, but when I turn the key backwards to acc or whatever it is, it makes a weird screeching sound on the passenger side dash, underneath. Im thinking of putting in a couple of diodes so none of the wires are actually joined.

·
3,018 Posts
BlackDak said:
So you are saying I need to close the circuit between Ignition 1 and Ignition 2 with the button, right? Just want to make sure, doing it tonight or tomorrow, depending on the weather...
No! Ignition one and 2 will be given 12V+ with your relay pack, when you press the button to start the truck all you'll be doing with that is giving 12V to the Starter wire. Thats a big mix up people have a hard time with "Ignition" doesnt mean "Start" It just powers up everything to keep the engine running. You must crank the starter before the engine does anything , thats the "Starter" wire.

·
King Snow Dog
519 Posts
I'm going to resurrect an old thread here:
I have a used 2000 D that i recently discovered had an Automate remote starter installed by the previous owner. I got a remote off Ebay for $5, programmed it into the system and all appeared to work great. But then my Check engine light came on and i have p1698. Seems i have the common problem of Ignition 2 (Red/Green) not being hooked up. I didnt have this issue at all before and it only has happened since i started using the remote start function.

Now my question is: what exactly do you guys mean by "hooked up"? Boomin said Ignition 1 and 2 need to get +12v. Where do i need to hook up ignition 2 to? Is there a wire coming out of the remote starter control box that both ignition wires connect to or what? I see what my problem is but i have no clue what to hook up to what to fix it.

Im going to call DEI and see if i can get the wiring diagrams/install guide for it. They say the Automate line must be installed by a DEI dealer and thus the manuals are not available online.

Thanks guys!

·
3,018 Posts
Well there is going to be a wire that comes out of the remote starter that gives Ignition 1 power when you are remote starting. All you would ahve to do is make a loop from that wire to ignition 2 so it powers that one up at the same time. This is only a last resort. The remote starter should have a wire coming out of it specifically meant for a second ignition. Unless there is a quick wire reference on top of the remote start, you'll need the manual to see which wire this is. The person may have actually hooked it up before hand, maybe it's a bad connection or something, if not you'll need to hook it to the Green/Red second ignition wire.

If there is no wire on the remote start for a second ignition (Which is unlikely) then you can do the loop thing like I said earlier, between 1st Ignition (Dark Blue) and the second ignition (Green/Red). Like I said this is a last resort though. The reason being, the wires should be isolated whenever possible.

Reactions: brad81987

·
Registered
986 Posts
If you do the "Loop" technique, it might be nice to use a couple of diodes on the split, so that these two independant curcuits don't feed back into each other.

·
King Snow Dog
519 Posts
Troy, Bill, Thanks much. Ill hopefully give it a look tonight and see if its just a loose connection otherwise ill try and get an install guide and get it hooked up.

It seems this is a common Dodge remote start problem, seems odd none of the companies would have caught it and modified their install guides accordingly......

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.