Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got a Bulldog RS1100 remote start for Christmas. I just wanted a basic one, since I don't have power locks or anything, and I don't need much range. Anyways, I ordered the T-Harness, and after everything was installed and put back together, I discover a check engine light when I use the remote. I got a 1687 and 1698. Well, when I called Bulldog, the guy said it was the T harness and I couldn't use it. He said the second ign. wire wasn't getting powered up or something. He told me could try directly wiring the Ign #2 wire to the module, and not us theT harness. I did that , and the 1687 went away. I still get the 1698. The remote starter works perfectly. The only thing I couldn't get to work was the dome light with the remote. I wired it up correctly and everything. But thats no biggie. Has anyone else got a CE light with their remote starter?? Any help wold be great, I don't really feel like having to rewire the whole darn thing. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Year/Make/Model?

There were two wires that needed powered up for my system as well. I posted a thread here a while ago with all the codes and what they meant. See what that code means and it might help figure something out.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah, My bad.. It's a 00 Dakota Sport 4x4 4.7.
Yeah, I looked up the codes, and the tech guy said that was caused from the second ign. wire.
The 2 codes were : 1687 No messages received from the Mechanical Instrument Cluster module.
1698 No messages received from the electronic transmission control module or the Aisin transmission controller.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
The only help I can offer is that there is definitely two acc. wires that need to be powered. I didn't do a remote start, but my SRT-10 Start Button required all the same connections.

Try a search for remote start and read up, I know there are some posts that list wire colors. I think they were two large Pink wires coming from the ignition, but mine is a 01 (other than that, same as yours).

Look at the link in my sig, you can see some of the wiring I did.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bulldog

I just put a remote start on my 2000 Durango. Go to bulldogsecurity.com and get the installation wiring guide for your vehicle. It'll tell you all the wire colors you need. Mine works great. I didn't hook up the tack sense or the lights--I know it's started from inside the house, I don't need to let everyone else know it's on by turning the lights on.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ill save you alot of time on this..... I had this exact same problem with a bull dog RS1300e starter/alarm. The bulldog wiring diagram on their site is ok except for ignition and accessory. they are Ignition #1 Dark Blue
Ignition #2 Green/Red
Acc Black/White and Black/Orange

I did a ton of searching on this when i installed mine and finally got this. Everything works great except when i turn the key all the way back it makes a buzzing sound from under the glove box. I think since the accessory wires are wired together when you turn the key all the way back it tries to power everything on a relay thats mean to just power radio and lights. You can probably correct this by putting in acouple of high amp diodes so the wires dont actually cross. I will eventually get around to this but for now i just dont turn the key back. Also, if you have a factory alarm, remember to wire up the FASD wire from the starter to the unlock wire of your car (with no resistor) or the car will start for a couple seconds and stop. If you care to read about it its in this post:
http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10556
Hope it helps ya!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey man thanks. You helped me out big time. I also get the buzzing when I have it in the Acc. position, but only if i have the ac and heater off. It fixed all my problems. I also got rid of that T Harness. I think it was actually easier to install w/o it. The only problem I have now is that the module sometimes quits working. Not real sure why, but it's something in the ign. wires to it. I'm going to try to rewire them. NO biggie though. Thanks alot. YOu saved me from yanking the whole thing out and going to Circuit City and buying one.

·
Registered
139 Posts
No Problem. Im glad you got it all straightened out; sort of. Just another little side note: Watch out if you leave your stereo on (amps and subs) or if you have big aux lighting when you remote start or use the "pit stop" feature. I was towing a trailer during the holidays 400 miles, and when i would stop for food or whatever I would use the pit stop to keep the engine and cooling running for 10-15min so nothing would over heat. Well when i got to Rochester, my remote start died. I took a look at the fuses and found that both 30amp fuses were melted and discolored. I guess the extra lights on the trailer pulled to much juice and it messed up the fuses, but didnt pop them. Im glad it didnt catch on fire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.