Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building myself a budget system right now, as well as a place to mount my switches, CB, and a scanner later on.

Stuff Going In:
Hifonics BXI610
Hifonics ZXI4410
Phoenix Gold 6.5" Components
RE Audio SE10
Cobra 18WSXTII
New CB Antenna
KnuKonceptz Wiring

I started my Console build today. This will replace the current console, allowing me to mount my CB, Scanner, Switches, and two cupholders on the lower level. The upper level will get a 1" foam pad on top, then the whole thing will get upholstered in either black vinyl or some type of black fabric. The RE Audio will be mounted in a downfiring position in all likelyhood. I can't wait to have bass again.

My answer to a lack of table saw access

And after a couple hours of cutting, recutting, gluing, and screwing, I ended up with this. The box is 11" wide, 34" long, and 13" tall at the highest point.

The console isn't absolutely perfect, as my woodworking skills leave something to be desired, but the sub enclosure itself is good and sealed. Now I need to get my sub in and start port tuning.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
sounds like a good plan. i can't see the pics at work, but just wanted to make a note for you to keep the amps vented and not sealed up inside that box or they will overheat. not sure if you had a plan for that or not, but some fans would help too.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
If anyone wants to see my center console sub box I just finshed up for a stick shift truck I could get some pictures/dimensions. It's not totally finshed as I'm going to add some kind of arm rest on top still and some storage to the cutout for the shifter but its carpeted and everything. I think I might make a thread for it once I finsh it up. And it's .85 cu. ft. for anyone wondering that, but it could have a couple inches added on to the end if someone else were to need more cu. ft. then that. It's got a 10" CVX Kicker in it and that called for .8 min.

Where/how are you putting the speakers in it? How does it fit in your truck? With my truck I think I had 28" from the back wall to the shifter console, I'm guessing your's goes under the dash? What kind of seats does your truck have or do they even have different style seats for these? I had the third seat in the middle that I took out with mine and made my box 11" wide, man was it a tight fit to get in there. The seats just barely slide forward and back now haha.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My truck is an automatic and I have the full center console. The new console will run from the dash, all the way to they back wall with only an inch or so to play with.

11" is really tight between the seats. It's actually touching on each side, but that's the only way I could use 3/4" MDF with a 10" sub. I'm not comfortable using 1/2" at 600RMS. If for whatever reason this ends up not working though, I'll have to rebuild the box at about 10.5" wide using half inch and a lot of bracing. It's all good though.

And I know to put the amps somewhere that they'll have good airflow. I'm either going to put them under the seats, or make an amp rack for the back wall. This isn't my first goat roping.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
Yes if I were to do mine over I would have went from 11" at the back down to like 10-10.5 giving it like a T-shape as there is more room at the back, or maybe use something leather-like for the sides so there isn't as much friction. 11" will work but like I said your seats are going to be hard to move unless the center console truck seats are different then the 3rd seat ones are.

You haven't done a test fit with it yet? Whats the inside of the box look like? Is it totally hollow or is it seperated in the middle? Where are you going to put the 6.5's in it?

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 6.5" Component set is going in the doors. The Box is hollow on the inside and should work out to 1.2 cubic ft, perfect for the SE10, ported. I'm probably going to use vinyl unless I find some black fabric that I like. And some friction is ok, as I never move my seats.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My box between the seats is 12.X inches. Which actually sits on the seat's frame, but below the bolsters. It came out of a buddies car, but I would really like to make an 11" wide box so my seats don't get too destroyed.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
The 6.5" Component set is going in the doors. The Box is hollow on the inside and should work out to 1.2 cubic ft, perfect for the SE10, ported. I'm probably going to use vinyl unless I find some black fabric that I like. And some friction is ok, as I never move my seats.
Oh ok I was trying to figure out how you were going to put 6.5's in it to. Wal-mart sells I think it was 72"x48" black auto carpet which is what I used if thats what you were looking for. There is A LOT of friction with mine, enough to where I had to make sure to put my seat where it is always going to be and the passenger seat almost all the way back so anyone can fit.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
lookin good man! i took on the same project with my 04 because of the cab vents and couldnt fit behind the seat boxes. i stuffed 2 10's in it, each firing toward the seat. dont remember exact numbers on airspace, but it was waht the subs required. now its sittin in my garage collecting dust, about to go to the scrap yard unless someone wants it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts