Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Dakota for Life!
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok fellaz. Kinda long post here, but please throw me a bone. I bought this hot cam for my 99 5.2 motor and I'm having pushrod length issues. It's a Crower regrind and I have H/S 1.7 non adjustble roller rockers. Yes, the cam is ground for those rr's and new lifters will be installed too. Now I could just go buy an adjustable pushrod, check the length, then buy a set of custom length pushrods. However, I'm really green when it comes to stuff like that with lifter preload and all that. So, I had this brilliant idea that involves math using the base circle diameter of the cam lobes. Tell me what you think.

The base circles of the reground cam lobes is 1.282 diameter. Now, let's say for example my stock cam base cirles are 1.382 diameter. That would be a difference of .100 in diameter, or .050 a side. I'm thinking with those numbers, I could buy a set of pushrods that are .050 longer than stock (because of the smaller base circle) and be ok with the non adjustable rr's. I also think I'll be ok with rr tip/valve tip geometry. Am I correct or full of crap?

BTW, Does anyone know the stock pushrod length? I need to know this in case my theory is correct. I believe Sam said something about them being 7.050 long. I do know H/S has a kit to retrofit my non adjustable rr's to adjustables. But I think I need to work with the pushrod length because of the rr tip/valve tip geometery. Anyway...

Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions, flames, bashings and insults are encouraged and welcomed. Thanks in advance.

· Your hero
438 Posts
I wanna say the stock pushrods are 6.9 inches. My comp pushrods are 6.950.. Something rings a bell about the stockers being a hair shorter. I do know that a set of adjustable rockers would make life alot easier on you right now though :biggthump

But as for the original question.. I have no idea what length you would need, sorry man.

· Registered
118 Posts
ScojoDak said:
Ok fellaz. Kinda long post here, but please throw me a bone. I bought this hot cam for my 99 5.2 motor and I'm having pushrod length issues. It's a Crower regrind and I have H/S 1.7 non adjustble roller rockers. Yes, the cam is ground for those rr's and new lifters will be installed too. Now I could just go buy an adjustable pushrod, check the length, then buy a set of custom length pushrods. However, I'm really green when it comes to stuff like that with lifter preload and all that. So, I had this brilliant idea that involves math using the base circle diameter of the cam lobes. Tell me what you think.

The base circles of the reground cam lobes is 1.282 diameter. Now, let's say for example my stock cam base cirles are 1.382 diameter. That would be a difference of .100 in diameter, or .050 a side. I'm thinking with those numbers, I could buy a set of pushrods that are .050 longer than stock (because of the smaller base circle) and be ok with the non adjustable rr's. I also think I'll be ok with rr tip/valve tip geometry. Am I correct or full of crap?

BTW, Does anyone know the stock pushrod length? I need to know this in case my theory is correct. I believe Sam said something about them being 7.050 long. I do know H/S has a kit to retrofit my non adjustable rr's to adjustables. But I think I need to work with the pushrod length because of the rr tip/valve tip geometery. Anyway...

Your thoughts, opinions, suggestions, flames, bashings and insults are encouraged and welcomed. Thanks in advance.
7.050" was for a similar setup, but a different cam.

Get the measuring pushrod--- it's the correct way to do this. Plus, remember-- you'll need to do your valve springs-- Mopar .600" for that cam/rocker combo.

Once you measure (with correct preload) you can get the pushrods same day if you want to drive down to get them, or have them shipped UPS and have them the following day.

Let's do this!

:drive:

Sam
www.socaldakota.com
619-274-1292
:banana2:

· Now Nitrous Injected!!!
704 Posts
What size cam is it b/c I wanna get one for my truck. When you get it done make a video of it for us please.

· Registered
118 Posts
Yellow318 said:
What size cam is it b/c I wanna get one for my truck. When you get it done make a video of it for us please.
Hey Yellow-- it's a custom grind that I did-- emissions style cam. I run a 'smaller' cam in my 2000 5.9L-- with the standard bolt-ons (Crower rockers, RT 1.92 heads, m1-2bbl, F&B 55x52, PPH headers, 4.56s gears, etc..) It puts down a solid 300-302 (300 on Dynojet, 302 on Dyno-dynamics) and it passes CA emissions (yeah the SNIFFER!).

Still, should do well on Scojo's 318... Depending on your requirements, I have a variety of cams to choose from-- What mods do you have? What do you plan to do?

*Warning* Though the price of the cam is pretty low, the installation involves a lot of 'little' things-- so the price of the install can go up quite a bit, so be forewarned. :redx:

Sam
www.socaldakota.com
619-274-1292

· Dakota for Life!
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yellow, don't let Sam scare you on the nickel and dime thing. It's not all that bad. Besides, my motor has 120,000 miles on it and the parts I'm replacing need replacing anyway. The new parts I'm buying are springs, retainers, pushrods, lifters, double roller timing chain and gaskets. I'm thinking $500 to $600 should easily cover it. And that budget includes a case of good beer. If your motor doesn't have that many miles on it, all you'll need is the springs, retainers, pushrods and gaskets. The springs need to be capable of .600 lift. Yes, if your lifters are rollers, and I'm certain they are, you CAN use them on a new cam. It's the flat tappet (non roller) lifters that need to be new along with a new cam. Anyway, Sam is going to be my "go to guy" for parts becauses his prices are very good, he's close to my house, is willing to go that extra mile for customer service and he knows his sh!t. OK Sam, I'll pull my lips off your @ss now. *lol* Anyway, My cam swap wont be till after the first of next year because I'll be adding powder coated parts along with a modded kegger intake.

· Registered
118 Posts
Jun is about to throw on his new modded kegger-- so wait until he posts some #s from it-- otherwise go an M1-- you like that better.

Besides the intake swap is cake.

Keep your lips to yourself.

:^)

Maybe I'll have a New Years eve party again this year--- do your cam swap that weekend.

WOOHOO!

:toast:

Sam
www.socaldakota.com
619-274-1292

· Registered
1,087 Posts
rtdkota said:
*Warning* Though the price of the cam is pretty low, the installation involves a lot of 'little' things-- so the price of the install can go up quite a bit, so be forewarned.
So, Sam, what is a "pretty low" price these days for a reground cam?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.