Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Subscribed Member
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a idea. What if i decreased my tire size? I know it would have the same affect as increasing my rear end ratio. Thats a good thing. But what are the disadavatages. What will happen to gas mileage? What about brakes, appearance, everything?

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Well you are right, it would be like haveing steaper gears, but the down side is your speedo is going to be off, and that means that your speed limmiter will come on sooner, your truck will show more miles that it really has, and it might look funny if you do not lower it, becasue of all the wheel well gap. if you had the speedo calibrated that you would be alright on the speed and milage issues.

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
03Stampededak said:
I had a idea. What if i decreased my tire size? I know it would have the same affect as increasing my rear end ratio. Thats a good thing. But what are the disadavatages. What will happen to gas mileage? What about brakes, appearance, everything?
If you install gears your speedometer/mileage stay true because of how the sensors are configured, but if you switch tires they will be off by whatever percentage diameter change you install (typically 3-8%). Your gas mileage may go down a bit in the city because of the extra grunt off the line, but on the highway you'll need to spin a few more rpm's so your mileage there will go down a bit.

My truck has 27" tires on it plus the Hochkis suspension, I would think that unless your truck is lowered it may look a bit off.

·
Blown and Squirted
2,513 Posts
I run 255/50/17 (27 inch dia. ) on my r/t with no proplems. I noticed an increase in acceleration and traction. The ZRi is a better tire then the stockers and they are shorter. The speedo is off, but not by a margin i can detect. They do look a lil small i the wheel wells, but I have a TVS kit in my garage that should cure that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.