Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I want to drop my dak..But, I am clueless as to what kit/brand I should go with.

I don't want to have it a 1/8 inch off the ground, I just want to give it a lower, meaner, sportier stance.

I have been told that lowering blocks in the rear is a no-no, especially if they are aluminum?

So what should I get? drop shackles for the leafs? I'm clueless when it comes to lowering kits and all.

Here's how my truck sits now- I have my eye on this kit that says it will lower it 2 in the front and 4 in the rear, I think maybe that will give me the stance I want, with my 17 inch R/T wheels.

If anyone would like to post pics of their trucks with R/T 17's and a 2-4 kit, please do.

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nevermind the graphics on the side, it's just something I was piddling with in Paint.

Also, the front tires are a tad smaller than the rears, this will not be that way soon, I am getting a whole new set of the same size.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
what tire size are you running? i am running 275/55/17;s and have a belltech 2/3 drop on mine that uses coil springs in the front and leaf springs in the rear. it gave it a nice stance and the ride isnt that bad. im still using stock shocks though. you can find some 2" coil springs to drop the front (just make sure they are listed for an r/t, if they are not just get 3" springs for a regular dak) and get some shackles and hangers for the rear to give you a 4" drop. my 2/3 dropped my r/t about 1" in the front and 2" in the rear.

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just about to go out there and check tire size.

Do you have any full on from the side pics of your truck like that? Sounds pretty sweet.

Ever since i got this truck, i've hated how high it sits with those R/T wheels, it just looks like shit having a big gaping space between the tire and wheel well lip.

·
Chillin The Most
29,242 Posts
Holy Moley thats a narrow sidewall. Is this a r/t? If not go with some 255/60/17(look in my sig) I had them on my truck before I lifted it and they fit like a glove and didnt even need to drop it

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
If you can find a hotchkis kit i recommend it with sways spri gs leafs and bilsteins. Next time I drive the dodge to up that way you can see for yourself how the kit feels and looks.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
I was just about to go out there and check tire size.

Do you have any full on from the side pics of your truck like that? Sounds pretty sweet.

Ever since i got this truck, i've hated how high it sits with those R/T wheels, it just looks like shit having a big gaping space between the tire and wheel well lip.
no but i'll get some pics of it soon.

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Holy Moley thats a narrow sidewall. Is this a r/t? If not go with some 255/60/17(look in my sig) I had them on my truck before I lifted it and they fit like a glove and didnt even need to drop it

It's a wannabe R/T lol

255/50 is the size of the rears, that's what size it had on it when I got it.

I plan to go with some Nitto's or something like that, a tad bit bigger, but not a 4x4 size tire or anything

·
Registered
480 Posts
The easiest way if you don't want it super low and be able to run the stock size wheels and tires, is with a set of Western Chassis 2" drop lower control arms and Western Chassis 2" drop shackle brackets for the rear. With the lowers on the front you can still keep your front aligned to stock specs, and the rear done with the brackets will maintain a nice ride.

·
Registered
480 Posts
i'd be happy with 2 in the front, 4 in the rear, or a stance close to yours, in your sig
Seeing that you have a regular Dakota, find a set of R/t front springs and then get the Western drop lowers. Find a set of R/t leafs and the buy the drop shackle brackets. With my truck, if I tried to lower the rear anymore, the bottom of the frame would be sitting on the diff tube. Doing it this way you will still have good ride quality.

·
Back in black
18,381 Posts
Seeing that you have a regular Dakota, find a set of R/t front springs and then get the Western drop lowers.Find a set of R/t leafs and the buy the drop shackle brackets. With my truck, if I tried to lower the rear anymore, the bottom of the frame would be sitting on the diff tube. Doing it this way you will still have good ride quality.
Solar, I have these if you're interested PM me.

·
the blue blur...
2,436 Posts
i agree with the hotchkis if you can find a used kit. sucks they stopped making them for our trucks. the handling was an amazing difference from stock...my buddy has a lowered 2000 gt mustang and i was only about 10 mph slower than him in taking curves. only complaint is ride qaulity is rough with the tuned bilsteins, which QA1's seem to be the next best thing from what i have read and improve the ride qaulity too. if you cant find the hotchkis kit, western chassis is the next best option as mentioned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.