Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
hmm I was able to change mine around.. just had to play with it a LOT..lol took me a while of pulling off and changing the postion just a little each time and seeing were it was at then doing it over and over again untill i got it right .. :biggthump good luck man its not an easy task

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
That's also why I didn't do a gauge overlay. I'd do anything to my gauges (henche the blue LEDs) besides pull the needles off and try to put them back on right. The calibration on all 6 of the needles is more important to me than some cool white face gauges. JMO...

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
That's also why I didn't do a gauge overlay. I'd do anything to my gauges (henche the blue LEDs) besides pull the needles off and try to put them back on right. The calibration on all 6 of the needles is more important to me than some cool white face gauges. JMO...

Yeah I feel the same way now but nothing I can do about it now :jester: but I have them fine tuned now so its all good .. now i just need to get my spedo recal since I have such small tires :biggthump

·
Registered
21 Posts
needle calibration

Hi everyone,

I should've introduced myself in the new member's section, but I saw this post and wanted to add the following.

For a '97-'00, while holding the trip odometer, turn the key to the ON position. The needles will move to 3 stops. They are:

Gauge First stop Second stop Third stop
Battery 9.5 (first line) 16 18
Coolant 140 (first line) 210 260
Tachometer 1000 3000 5900
Speedometer 20 55 120
Oil pressure 35 55 110
Fuel 1/8 1/4 Full

(sorry about the bad spacing ... I tried to format the graph)

I just did this on my '99 and it worked with exception of the needles stopping four times and not three. However it was enough for me to place my needles where they belong.

Chuck Robbins
'99 IB

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
intense99dak said:
Hi everyone,

I should've introduced myself in the new member's section, but I saw this post and wanted to add the following.

For a '97-'00, while holding the trip odometer, turn the key to the ON position. The needles will move to 3 stops. They are:

Speedometer 20 55 120
Oil pressure 35 55 110
Fuel 1/8 1/4 Full

I just did this on my '99 and it worked with exception of the needles stopping four times and not three. However it was enough for me to place my needles where they belong.

Chuck Robbins
'99 IB
Man thanks Chuck I knew about this just didn't know were the needles were suppose to stop each time... gonna go out and double check mine again ... thanks again :mullet:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
intense99dak said:
Hi everyone,

Speedometer 20 55 120
Oil pressure 35 55 110
Fuel 1/8 1/4 Full

Chuck Robbins
'99 IB

do you mean they move three times? like jump three different times? cause i tried that today and my trip said chec. but the needles didnt move. and how long do you have to hold them?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Do you mean they move three times? like jump three different times? cause i tried that today and my trip said chec. but the needles didnt move. and how long do you have to hold them?

Yes the needles move/jump during the procedure. It does take a little while for them to jump and it happens right after the idiot lights light up and just before you hear three chimes. If you saw the chec then the needles should've moved if you gave them enough time.

Chuck Robbins

·
Banned
4,469 Posts
Yea...I tried this and it says "check". I also waited 2 minutes and no needle movement. Can someone please tell the precedure to be taken exactly?

·
'10 Camaro RS/SS
1,941 Posts
Press and hold trip button, turn key to ON position, keep holding trip button until you see "CHEC" show up in the odometer readout, then release the trip button. The lights will go through several checks and shortly after the needles should move to the stop positions shown in that pic.

·
Banned
4,469 Posts
00RedRT said:
Press and hold trip button, turn key to ON position, keep holding trip button until you see "CHEC" show up in the odometer readout, then release the trip button. The lights will go through several checks and shortly after the needles should move to the stop positions shown in that pic.
Yea I figured this out before lol...

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Here is another idea, had this same problem. TO get mine back to correct, for the speedo, I pulled the needle, and then got on the interstate next to my Dad's '00 Dakota CC. My wife and my mom talked to each other on the cell phone, had Dad take his truck to 65 mph and set the cruise so it was at 65. I then pulled alongside him and did the same, at that point I carefully re-applied the needle, I know that I am within 1 mph of accurate.

For all other needles, I contacted the one dealer who I was on SUPER good terms with. Made an appt. and went in on a Sat. morning EARLY before service got busy. The Service writer had one of the techs bring his portable OBD reader out, he plugged it into the service port and had me start the truck. He then went to the section which showed the digital readings for all the guages. I then re-installed all my needles based on where the computer showed the digital readings to be. The only one that is off a little is the engine temp reads a hair to the high side. They didn't charge me anything to do, just as a courtesy, but this was a dealer I had real good relationship with also.

·
Benz Tech
847 Posts
Does anybody know of a way to recalibrate the needles on a 2001 and up?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.