Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it worth it to switch to the 4.10 gear with LSD in my '98 3.9L 4x2?

Also, where could i find one of these, and what kind of changes should i expect. And... how difficult is the install?

Sorry for so many questions.

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
i have a set of 3.92's in mine. didnt want to go to a full 4.10, i do alot of highway driving. install isnt too bad if you have the tools for it. i took mine to get it done. i have a spare rear if you wanna buy that and do the work on it then just swap the rear out, along with the brakes and lines and such. 150.oo plus shipping. axles, differential (3.55 gears), all go with it. drum backing plates go too. a typeical shop would charge tyou anywhere from 200-500.oo depending on what needs to be done. my shop charged me 300.oo. not too bad. i had bought a rear, detailed it, gave it to them and they installed everything i bought for it. had a problem though, damn differential i bought brand new was warped. (auburn). if i could do it again, i woulda went with a detroit locker instead.

randys ring and pinion.
truckperformance.com
jegs.com
summitracing.com

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
should i replace the whole axle when i do a gear swap, or just the ring and pinion? I'm not really sure how it works, i would have a my shop install it for me, but i need to know what to buy. Gears is just something i have never messed with, but it never hurts to learn.

Thanks

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
if your going to have a shop perform the work, then all you need is to get the right gearset, and a differential that fits your axles. i think they are 27 spline, but i forget.

anyone else know what the spline count its on these daks???

jim

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm lookin on SocalDakota, and it says we use a Chrysler 9.25" Diff, but i thought we had a 8.25... oh well. I'm gonna give them a call. thanks for the help. I'll keep everybody posted on them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts