Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 dakota, 4.7, 4x4 auto. It has the 9.25 12 bolt rear end. I think im having problems with the rearend. I noticed it, because my tires are wearing on the outside and it likes to loose traction if i get on it too much in the rain or around a corner. when i jack the rear of the truck up, the wheels are hard to spin, and when i do spin one of them, they both spin the same direction, instead of spinning one forward, and the other spinning backwards as usual. The owners manual mentions that it has a locker in the rear. Could this be the problem, or does it even have a locker? Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thats what i thought, but what does the owners manual mean by: it locks the wheels together so they turn the same speed? Thanks

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
A limited slip does this until going around corners slowly which causes the differentials clutches to slip, allowing you to make a turn without chirping tires.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So what would be causing it to be locked together the way it is. ive never seen a rearend that when one tires is turned forward, the other turns forwward as well. Unless the diff was welded?

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
A limited slip has the tires locked together with clutches. It will cause this, when turning you overcome the clutches hold allowing one clutch to slip. Hence term limited slip.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know, but it should still spin. It kind of feels like the ebrake is on, but it is not, and the brakes are properly adjusted

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm sorry to say, it sounds like you rear diff has major issues...if you want I'll trade you mine. which is an open diff, will free turn by hand, and I'll spend the money to repair yours;) and reinstall it in mine:D

but seriously, that is normal for an LSD, as far as tire wear...ease up a little in wet weather and drive a little easier period, or else buy alot of tires and have fun.

·
Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
99 Posts
Limited Slip Diff

I am having basically the same problem with my 2002 Dodge Dakota 4x4 SLT , it has posi but the thing is locked all the time , tires hop around pretty well every corner , have changed oil twice and added additives from different manufacturers , it works OK for approximately 2 days to 1 week , then diff is locked again .

Is it possible to remove clutch plates ....etc . and leave them out to make it an open differential or do I have to leave plates ..etc in there to hold something else in place ?

I did that on my 77 Belair station wagon years ago and it worked beautifully after that , except it just had 4 coil springs that put pressure on plates , just popped the springs out and I was done .

Have asked many people around here and nobody seems to know for sure .

·
Registered
864 Posts
pretty sure you can remove clutches if you want, i'd want to pop the covers off and inspect everything inside, there may be something going wrong in there. My experience with limited slips is that they dont usually behave like this unless someone has say added and extra clutch into them... this sounds like the way a locker behaves, you could have some sort of metal stuck between the spiders or something you have some sort of damage.

·
Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
99 Posts
Thanx 91dak239

Thanks very much for your input , guess I'll make up a tool and pull carrier out for inspection , I will probably go ahead and pull clutches out and leave them out if it is possible to do that , don't have any use for a limited slip diff . Will see what is going on as far as the cause of locking problem and if I can repair easily and maybe decrease the plate pressure so it has minimal drag I may do that but as previously mentioned , don't really need a posi .

By the way , sounds like you have one sweet ride , any pics ?

·
Registered
704 Posts
I gotta admit this is the 1st time Ive heard someone complain about having a posi from the factory, I have a 9.25 open diff sittin on the shelf at my house if you want I'll trade you even for your lsd, wish my dakota woulda came with it stock lol. I hate spinning one tire.

·
Dakota SLT Quad Cab 4x4
99 Posts
My diff is an 8.25

The problem with trading diff is that my truck is 4x4 , the diff is a 8 1/4 , axle ratio : 3.92 , I would have to replace the front diff so they match . Are you talking about replacing the whole diff or just carrier and pinion ? Thought about replacing the whole diff but would really hate pulling all that apart . Sounds easier to pull axles , loosen preload nut , undo carrier caps and pull carrier out and apart . Not too mention you are in the US , more than likely , and I'm in southern Ontario , Canada . The shipping would be redonkulous .

·
Registered
704 Posts
If it wasn't for the fact that you have a 8.25 then yea we could jus trade diff carriers and youd be good to go everything I have is for 9.25 and I could use a spare lsd lol

·
Old Fart
182 Posts
Thanks very much for your input , guess I'll make up a tool and pull carrier out for inspection , I will probably go ahead and pull clutches out and leave them out if it is possible to do that , don't have any use for a limited slip diff . Will see what is going on as far as the cause of locking problem and if I can repair easily and maybe decrease the plate pressure so it has minimal drag I may do that but as previously mentioned , don't really need a posi .

By the way , sounds like you have one sweet ride , any pics ?
DO NOT take the clutches out! They sit behind the side gears and space them out so they mesh properly with the spider gears. Without them, the gears will flop around loose, your c-clips will fall off, and your wheels will pass you on the freeway.

If you don't want the limited-slip, buy an open carrier or trade yours for one and change just the complete carrier assembly. Put your ring gear back on the new one. It shouldn't be too hard to find somebody who wants to trade you straight across.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts