Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This truck is equipped with the LSD rear axle on the 4x4 setup. When I had it in for all fluid change at 130K a couple of years ago the mechanic called me to come down and look. There was some failure in the clutch pack that ground away the housing where the cap bolts secure, almost down to the bolt holes. Wow! The whole thing could have soon come apart.

This was an expensive repair, as the entire axle/diff housing had to be replaced.

It always made a slight whine on tight slow turning since new. After repair noise was gone. I always just thought is was the big tires and suspension complaining.

Has anyone else had this occur?

·
I hate you people.
2,832 Posts
Having something like fail like it did is very rare. Normally, this doesn't happen unless it was messed with before or was horribly abused if you bought it used, because I had a 94 Dak with 327K on it before we got rid of it and it still had the original factory clutches in the differential and all it had was the oil changed according to the owners manual.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it new and never put it under heavy use. I think it was defective from the factory. It was a model year end clearance deal at the end of 2002. Mechanic said it looked like someone had been into the diff before. Got me wondering of the factory or dealer had tried to fix something wrong from the beginning and simply didn't do it right. It seemed pretty odd to me.

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
Its common for the clutch pack discs and the retainers to break and become loose in the diff. I ha e seen a few where the pieces get lodged in the carrier and cause damage. Most of the time you just lose the lsd and have an open diff until its fixed. Best bet is to just get rid of the factory limited slip clutch pack. I put a Powertrax in mine and haven't had any issues. But there are other options.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's because the rear axle adjusters are touchy as hell, and when diff work is done to gears, axle adjusters are moved. If not placed back exactly, you will either have a loud whine, or low whine, depending on how far they are off.

Also possible is the side bearings for the gear housing. Installing a new LSD clutch pack can cause newfound strain on the old bearings, when rolling.

Just rebuilt LSD clutch pack on my 2001 Dakota 9.25 Ring gear, 3.55 4X4. First time ever in a rear end(F*** off lol) and I've moved the adjusters too far back when reassembling, first time. Had to take apart, and go turn by turn to find the sweet spot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts