Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to take the diff cover off to clean it up and paint it and also change the fluid. What kind and how much fluid do i have to put back in when i do this? Will RTV be good enough to use as a gasket? I used it on my valve covers and it worked good there.

· Registered
315 Posts
RTV should be fine for a gasket. I would get some Mobil 1 gear oil in 75-90 or 75-120. Get 4 quarts just to be sure you have enough. I dont have my owners manual handy, so I cant say the exact amount the diff holds. Also, if you have a limited slip, you will need to add some friction modifier. The auto store will know what to give you.

· G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
i think three is all that is necessary. im using the valvoline syntec gear fluid.

head off to the dealer and get a bottle or two of the additive for the differential. tried it without using this stuff, and the rear chattered a bit, once i added it, no more problems. :biggthump

jim

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Great so is it three or four? I didnt even know that much would fit in there. If i go to O Reilys or Autozone cant they look it up on the computer? And how hard is it to get the plug off? I dont like messing with rubber too much, everytime i do it cracks or breaks. And no i dont have LSD, its the stock open rear end. Damnit, i didnt think this would be so confusing, im just gonna buy a damn Haynes if i cant figure it out :joke: i dont need all of that crap. But ill ask around to see what i can find out.

· Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
You'll need 3 qts. I really really doubt you got the 9.25". I used Royal Purple Synthetic in mine, cause I get it the cheapest. It works awesome.

Use some Ultra Black or Ultra Grey, don't try anything blue, won't stand up to gear oil very long. I made this mistake (used ultra blue cause I had it sittin around the casa) So now I get to dump out expensive oil, and do it all over agian!

I personally ran some 85W140 in mine, cause it was hummin a bit (think it's wearing out) but I'd run 75W90 unless theres somthing wrong with your diff.

The Rubber plug is easy, just pop it out once the cover is off! put a thin bead of UltraBlack around the plug when you reinstall it, should curtail (SP) any leakage there! (My plug doesn't leak, just the edge haha)

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ummm i dont know what the size is but it has 10 bolts. I used Grey stuff on my Valve covers. So whats up with this friction crap? Theres nothing wrong with my rear end. So i have to get Fluid and this friction modifier. You guys have been good help, i just wanna make sure u guys arent being general about anything.

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
alright, awesome, looks like i got me a project to keep me entertained this weekend. Thanks a lot guys! Ill put up pictures when i get done and i figure out how to post em.

· G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
i thought he had the LSD in there. anyways, your rear is the 8.25" type.

· Registered
462 Posts
I would play it safe and call a dealer and ask them. Give them your vin number so that they can cross check to make sure you have the gears that you think you have. Adding the wrong type of lube will kill the rear end in short order.

· just rockin'
404 Posts
I have the 9.25 rear diff and there is a full line on the housing. Its 4.7 pts (80w-90) on the 8.25 and 4.9 pts (75w-90) on the 9.25. Fill differential with gear lubricant to bottom of the fill plug hole.

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i used 80-90. I already got it done and i did fill it up to the bottom of the plug. I put up pictures of the cover on the multimedia forum if u wanna see it. Germany=RUST is what the thread is called.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.