Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was trying to replace the rear brake shoes on my 07 Dakota and can't seem to be able to install the upper return spring that goes on the back side of the brake shoes. It there a special tool I'm needing or am I just missing something here?
I've put it back together with just the one outside spring and it seems to be fine, but I'm sure there is a reason for Dodge engineers to use two instead of one.

·
Registered
18 Posts
rear drum spring

I was trying to replace the rear brake shoes on my 07 Dakota and can't seem to be able to install the upper return spring that goes on the back side of the brake shoes. It there a special tool I'm needing or am I just missing something here?
I've put it back together with just the one outside spring and it seems to be fine, but I'm sure there is a reason for Dodge engineers to use two instead of one.
I just did the Rear Drum brakes on my 06, I hope you were kidding that you left off that spring. it is PITA, but work it slowly and you will get it. the emergency brake adjuster should be at the closet point. put the spring in one side then sandwich the shoes together as best you can and the spring will get really close to being on, then get a friend to work the spring or you will find the angle that the spring slips on with.

good luck
timmit

·
Registered
150 Posts
Old post but I remember those bastards. I wish I took pictures but I figured out a way that made it much easier. It took some attention to detail to get it all right.

I basically installed that upper spring and adjuster BEFORE I mounted the shoes to the backing plate. With them still disconnected from the backing it was easier to slip in the adjuster. Once I had the top adjuster and springs attached I would attach them to the backing plate. The bottom spring went on last.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts