Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay guys, just a quick question. Can anyone tell me what other vehicle/ vehicles rear axles would be a direct bolt swap for my 88 Dakota 3.9 a/t I'm looking for a 3.23 gear. I swapped the 4 speed od trans for an 87 3 speed and my 3.55 is a bit to low now. I found a 2.76 but I don't want to go with that small of tires to preserve low end take off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,525 Posts
3.23? Nope; 2.76, 2.94, and next factory was 3.54/3.55 .

Do you still have the 4 speed OD transmission and driveshaft? And where are you?

RwP

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Over the years Dodge used alot of 8-1/4 rear ends with a 3.21/3.23 gear, they just may not have used them in Dakotas. But a rear end from an 87-90 Dakota will be the only direct swap without having to modify something. I have swapped a 94 rear end into a. 90, had to swap out the axles, drums and yoke from the original rear end. Housing length and spring perch location was the same.
91 up had the 6 lug rims instead of your 5 lug but are the same length and spline count.

I could have sworn that some Dakotas we're available with the axle ratio you want, though I have never had one myself.
If you are dead set on 3.21/3.23 you might have to rebuild your current rear end and change gears.

If I had another Dakota with a 3 speed trans I'd be looking at the 2.94 gearset (another gearset available in Dodge products with that model rear end over the years) or maybe a 3.07/3.08 (may have to find that ratio aftermarket at a place such as Randy's ring and pinion) I have seen that ratio in many other vehicles (brands) but I don't think Dodge ever had that in an 8-1/4 model rear end from the factory)
I do know that some Jeeps came from the factory with 3.07s especially TJ series Wrangler (97-06) but those had Dana 30 in the front and Dana 35 in the back. Not 8-1/4's so that exact gearset wouldn't work in an 8-1/4.
Idk that going from a 3.55 to a 3.23 will make all that much difference in your driving characteristics.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Okay guys, just a quick question. Can anyone tell me what other vehicle/ vehicles rear axles would be a direct bolt swap for my 88 Dakota 3.9 a/t I'm looking for a 3.23 gear. I swapped the 4 speed od trans for an 87 3 speed and my 3.55 is a bit to low now. I found a 2.76 but I don't want to go with that small of tires to preserve low end take off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 3.21 set it came out of a full size dodge truck. They are in a volare axle which will fit a Dakota, I had it in my 88 dakota, Which had a 3.9 but a 7-1/4 rear with 2.71, so that is why I used the Volare rear but the housing is bent, I did not know that when I got it from the salvage yard that it had been hit. I could not hold a axle seal in it so I changed with one that came from a Dakota later. The 3.21 worked ok with my 5 spd, 5th was a bit high and didn't use 5th unless I was on the interstate. I also have a couple 3.55 8-1/4's from other Dakota's that I parted out. I'm just outside Watertown Wi and would part with a complete 3.55 axle, the 3.21's I would part with the ring and pinion, but I want the carrier axles and bearings, as I had replaced all of that stuff when I put the 3.21's in it. unless you offer me enough to cover that stuff. I need to go through the axle in my 94 otherwise I wouldn't care.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
3.23? Nope; 2.76, 2.94, and next factory was 3.54/3.55 .

Do you still have the 4 speed OD transmission and driveshaft? And where are you?

RwP
I'm sorry, I'm still learning this place. Yes I do still have the A500 and everything to go.back with it...driveshaft, crossmember...etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts