W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

2001 Dodge Durango SLT
4.7L, 4x4, Electronic shift on the fly.
Rear wheel ABS

I was driving the wife's Durango in the snow last night and was testing the brakes. When I stomped on them and locked them up I didn't feel anything in the pedal and I didn't hear anything.

I drive a F150 with 4 wheel ABS. When I lock those up I feel the vibration in the pedal and hear the noise.

Is rear ABS different? I have never driven a rear ABS only vehicle so I'm not sure, I just assumed that I would hear and feel the same thing as 4 wheel ABS. We just bought the Durango and couldn't test the ABS.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I feel it in the pedal on mine.......'04 dakota

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good question!!

Ya I wonder the same thing. I had a T-Bird with 4 wheel ABS & I could feel it in the brake pedal.
But I've never felt it in my Dak. Granted I only have 2 wheel ABS, (I don't understand that either.
IMO ABS should be all wheels), but I wonder if it is working also. :confused:

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
yes you should feel it in the pedal...i hate mine...it always kicks in and i travel farther than i should. i would like to eliminate it, but it seems like too much work.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rear ABS not working

I went out today and played in the snow. Had the wife drive while I watched. All wheels lock up, no noise, no pulsing in the pedal. Now I have to figure out why they don't work. The fuses under the hood are okay, anyone have any ideas where else to look?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rear abs only??? I swear this truck has abs in the front but can confrim because its not working at the moment. (Guessing offroading gummed up the speed senors). ABS will only kick on if your over a certain speed like probably 10-15 miles an hour. I know this is how my dads 99 suburban works. I would check your speed senors first if your abs light isn't on.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Rear ABS

I have rear ABS as well, but I do feel it. My pedal doesn't pulse like in other vehicles I have driven, but I can tell my wheels dont lock up.

Your wheels will lock up in 4wd since the fronts dont have ABS. Some times you will feel the pulse because the front and rear are fighting.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
IS the ABS or brake light on in the dash? if the spped sensor was bad or the system is not working the light should come on. I have rear ABS on my dak, and I never feel them kick in, but I had a S-10 Blazer and i could feel them all the time, that brake system sucked.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I know this is an old thread but for those who still come across abs questions our trucks had an option for 4-wheel abs (rear wheel abs is standard), only time i've ever had my rear abs kick on is when the one tire is at least 10 mph faster then the other side. I tested it by putting one side on complete Ice and getting the wheel spinning about 40mph and hitting the brakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts