Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
shake them babies
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any good online sellers? i know of only three right now. thinking primarily at ugrading the stock speakers to a component set for the fronts.
asked for a quote at visionaryaudio.com, haven't got a reply for a week now.
right now there's a RE component set and 2 10" dvc subs on auction at ebay now... should i get these subs or should i save up for kodas?

if i lose the auction i'll prolly hit up mdaudio.net for prices. these are the only online deals google can point me to. thanks for any suggestions & comments.

PS btw, current audio setup:

stock speakers
thunderform, 2x10" mtx 4500s run off a mtx801d (high level input, tapped to rear speakers)
rbk oem headunit (keeping this until i can afford dvd dash unit)
have a mxa6004 4-channel amp (not installed) for speaker upgrade

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
If you're wanting to get the Adire Kodas, then go for it. I'd honestly skip the RE RE's. The Kodas have XBL^2 and I can tell the difference. They NEVER distort, even at full volume, where it's WAY past comfortable listening levels. I'm sure the RE RE's will be a very nice sub, but won't match the Kodas in loudness OR clearity. I will warn you though, the Thunderform will need some modification with the Kodas, but wasn't too hard. You might be able to get away without doing anything to it with the RE's.

If you're looking to get the RE components, you should be able to get them right through RE themselves. It won't be any cheaper, but it's sometimes easier having them have the records you purchased the speakers, rather than a shop that deals with them. Same thing with the Adire's, mine were bought right from them.

Also, with the RE's, you will only get 100w each from your amp, where as with the Kodas you'll get 400w each. ;)

·
shake them babies
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'll try calling them up if i botch the auction. but if some one feels there are better components out there, please lemme know!

i'm pretty much locked on what can get into the thunderform (kodas), but components are the priority now.

thanks again,

·
G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
dakota g33k said:
any good online sellers? i know of only three right now. thinking primarily at ugrading the stock speakers to a component set for the fronts.
asked for a quote at visionaryaudio.com, haven't got a reply for a week now.
right now there's a RE component set and 2 10" dvc subs on auction at ebay now... should i get these subs or should i save up for kodas?

if i lose the auction i'll prolly hit up mdaudio.net for prices. these are the only online deals google can point me to. thanks for any suggestions & comments.

PS btw, current audio setup:

stock speakers
thunderform, 2x10" mtx 4500s run off a mtx801d (high level input, tapped to rear speakers)
rbk oem headunit (keeping this until i can afford dvd dash unit)
have a mxa6004 4-channel amp (not installed) for speaker upgrade

try these out for size...

http://www.nextag.com/

http://audiowarehouseexpress.com/

·
shake them babies
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no, i don't know much about them. not much info on them where i lurk around. i just assume because they are 6.5s they'll fit in the wall holes. so they won't work as midranges to replace the back speakers? i just didn't want to mixy-match speaker brands. suggestion/flaming/comment/schooling replies are welcome, don't wanna blunder this. TAI

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
The XXX's are a totally different speaker than the RE. They're made to be housed in a "sealed" box inside the door panel, so they act more like a subwoofer than a regular midbass. This requires a TON of work if you don't know how to do it, but isn't bad if you do know.

The RE's on the other hand can just be dropped into any normal 6.5" location.

·
shake them babies
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
wow, thanks for the heads up. funny thing is i never saw a clearcut topic about this while lurking at the official RE Audio forum. all along i thought they're just beefiest midranges out there.

got any suggestions on what midranges to use instead in the walls? mxa6004 amp i have puts 70w rms per channel.

·
Car Audio God
458 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
The XXX's are a totally different speaker than the RE. They're made to be housed in a "sealed" box inside the door panel, so they act more like a subwoofer than a regular midbass. This requires a TON of work if you don't know how to do it, but isn't bad if you do know.

The RE's on the other hand can just be dropped into any normal 6.5" location.
No they don't. They work perfectly fine IB (infinite baffle). Although I do recommend sealed door pods for best performance ;).

Also, the motor structure is HUGE...so that's be the number reason not to use them in-door...cuz...they prolly won't fit ;)

NG

·
Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
I know buyin the wrong speakers! I gotta build baby boxes for my Alpine SPX's now damnit. I got my KX250.2 amp in for em, but have yet to install ANY of it. I have ALOT of faith that they will need a sealed airspace behind them, never seen a component set that came with specs for a enclosure, it's like .3 cu ft, but it's going to be a PITA to make somthing that fits inside the door/ looks clean Might just replace the bottom on the door panel altogether (cut off at the factory "body line" and remake outa something different) not sure yet

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
ngsm13 said:
No they don't. They work perfectly fine IB (infinite baffle). Although I do recommend sealed door pods for best performance ;).
Really? I've heard from sooo many people that the XXX's weren't made for IB at all. I heard the RE's were and the XXX's were just strictly sealed for their type of application. :huh:

·
Car Audio God
458 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
Really? I've heard from sooo many people that the XXX's weren't made for IB at all. I heard the RE's were and the XXX's were just strictly sealed for their type of application. :huh:
When they were first in proto-type or pre-production stages...this was true. Then Dave changed the softparts a little...spider config...and made it better suited for both applications int he production model ;).

NG

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.