Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Up to ten motorcycles now
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately, when driving my 01 Dak SLT (4.7V8/5-spd/RWD) I get a random "chime" warning that dings on for about five minutes, and then quits. Sometimes it chimes again a few minutes later. When it chimes all the gauges show normal, I don't hear anything abnormal, everything feels normal. My Dak has 203,000 miles on it.I wear the seal belt all the time, so its not that. Runs fine, does burn a bit of coolant as I have to keep up on making sure the coolant level doesn't drop too much.

Not sure if it means anything, but the left directional flashes faster than the right. I checked all the LH light fixtures for good connections, all looked normal. Sometimes the left directional stays on steady, then blinks when I use the directional. Sometimes it goes out after the turn, sometimes it stays on.

Anyone else ever have something similar happen with your Dakota.

· Registered
2004 dakota 4.7l cold air, cat back, 545rfe trans detroit locker on a 9.25 265/70r17
70 Posts
Lately, when driving my 01 Dak SLT (4.7V8/5-spd/RWD) I get a random "chime" warning that dings on for about five minutes, and then quits. Sometimes it chimes again a few minutes later. When it chimes all the gauges show normal, I don't hear anything abnormal, everything feels normal. My Dak has 203,000 miles on it.I wear the seal belt all the time, so its not that. Runs fine, does burn a bit of coolant as I have to keep up on making sure the coolant level doesn't drop too much.

Not sure if it means anything, but the left directional flashes faster than the right. I checked all the LH light fixtures for good connections, all looked normal. Sometimes the left directional stays on steady, then blinks when I use the directional. Sometimes it goes out after the turn, sometimes it stays on.

Anyone else ever have something similar happen with your Dakota.
Sounds like the flasher is going out. In 2001 or 2002 dodge put this strange all in one flasher unit in its rigs. I hate it because you cant get one rated for LEDs. It has several circuits and if one goes bad for one side it will do what your describing. I don't think the chime is related though. Mine chimes from time to time but that's simply because of my engine light being on.

· Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
513 Posts
I don't think that what's going on with your turn signals is related to what's going on with your chime. On an '03 the FSM says that the chime is controlled by the CTM (Central Timer Module) so I am thinking that this will be the same for the '01 since they are both Gen 2s (not gen 3) and both utilize the PCI Bus. But I am not saying that definitively this means that your CTM is failing. I'd say you've done well with over 200k on your '01, and if it was me I'd tend to look at that as something that I could live with. But my standards are admittedly low.

· Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
513 Posts
. . . I just looked at the '03 FSM and it is actually saying that "the chime system is built into the CTM."

(For the purposes of this thread it is probably worth noting the CTM does not control the turn signals.)

There is a list of conditions that will set off a low chime or high chime, and as far as the low chime and turn signals, the only thing I see is the "turn signal on reminder warning."

· Up to ten motorcycles now
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anyone else ever replace the OEM flasher? I just went to the Dodge dealer, guy at the parts desk tells me the OEM flasher is $192!!?? He was stunned too, so he gave the part number to search online. I found one on Ebay:

$129.83 is a lot better price. But still, $129.83 for a friggin flasher?? Must do a lot more than just make the directional blink when I choose at the steering wheel.

· Registered
2004 dakota 4.7l cold air, cat back, 545rfe trans detroit locker on a 9.25 265/70r17
70 Posts
Anyone else ever replace the OEM flasher? I just went to the Dodge dealer, guy at the parts desk tells me the OEM flasher is $192!!?? He was stunned too, so he gave the part number to search online. I found one on Ebay:

$129.83 is a lot better price. But still, $129.83 for a friggin flasher?? Must do a lot more than just make the directional blink when I choose at the steering wheel.
That's crazy.

damn $71.99 from oreilly. I knew they were different but was expecting like $50 dealer and $30 aftermarket.

· Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
513 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts