Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone this may seem like redundant question but I'm looking to eventually sas my 99 dak, while wondering around my local junkyard I found a 2nd gen ramcharger on blocks but axles and suspension are still there. So I guess my question is what are some pros/cons of going with the dana 44 out of that vs. Let's says finding an old 70s ford dana 44(which in Atlantic canada is very hard to find for cheap or reasonable)

·
I hate you people.
2,831 Posts
I really don't know what the differences are between the Ford and Dodge Dana 44 but I do know that the 44's are definitely stout and are a great option for a SAS project.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I normally don't like posting to threads this old. So if you've already resolved this please disregard.

There are more cons than pros when using a Dana 44 out of a Ramcharger for your SAS conversion.

Assuming your Dakota is currently a 4x4, the transfer case is a driver's side drop. This would be incompatible with the Ramcharger's passenger side differential. Of course if your Dakota is a 2wd you could always install a transfer case with a passenger side drop.

Next Con, depending on model year, some Ramcharger Dana 44's have a Central Axle Disconnect system to engage the axle. The CAD axle is known to be weaker around the cast CAD housing. I would avoid it or at the least, build a sturdy truss.

The Ford Dana 44s tend to be much more desirable as they have a driver's side differential and the differential is a high pinion design, which is believed to have about 20% stronger gears than the low pinion Ramcharger Dana 44

Depending on if you consider coils a pro or a con, the Ford 44 will have coil springs and radius arms. The Ramcharger Dana 44 will be set up for leaf springs. Either suspension system could be adapted to a Dakota.

I personally don't consider Dana 44s of any make particularly stout, but if your options are limited and you're not building the truck for extreme wheeling, a Dana 44 maybe all the axle you need

The only pro I can think of for using the Ramcharger axle, is you already found one and probably cost. Since the Ford Dana 44s tend to be more desirable, they will command a higher price. The Ramcharger's 44 should be pretty cheap in comparison.

Ed

1 - 3 of 3 Posts