Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help, I have a 1999 Dakota R/T and second gear just went. I am told that when I rebuild, I should beef up the transmission with diesel parts. My question is if anyone can tell me what diesel parts they are talking about and any other helpful information on the rebuild. Much thanks!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Depending on what you are making/ want to make for horsepower should be the deciding factor for how heavy you want to build your trans. The sky is the limit but I would at least rebuild with red alto clutches and bands, a transgo shift kit, and maybe a higher radio intermediate band apply lever. But you can basically shove all billet diesel parts in your case if you really want to spend a ton of cash.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot! Right now I am fairly stock with a few mods, but I do plan on a higher horsepower build down the road. Just wasn't sure what they meant by diesel parts and my trans guy was in the dark as well.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
The stock trans lasted 14 years. Thats pretty beefy to me. I'd rebuild with OEM parts and not try to Frankenstein a transmission. The OEM parts will probably last another 14 years. Unless your going to go with some seriously heavy modifications like what nitrohog has done to his ride, a stock tranny will do you just fine.

Good luck...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I do plan on running a build that will need a heavier transmission down the road. Right now there isn't that much done other than cold air intake, big gulp throttle body, hughes fi air gap dual plane intake, Gibson shorty headers, true dual exhaust, mopar pcm, and an sct tune by hemifever. As soon as I'm able to give it some down time, I plan on breaking down the engine and beefing it up to run an sts system. I talked to another transmission guy yesterday and we are set to get it in today after work. I was hoping to be able to enter the dakota in a show this weekend, but that won't be the case I see. Just wish this didn't happen after I was finally able to put some fresh paint on the R/T =/

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Even my build isn't that wild. I'm running all stock planetary gears and shafts along with the stock pump. I have the heavier overdrive apply spring, some billet servos, good clutches and bands but not a lot else. It has held a lot of abuse so far including nitrous passes on drag radials so I'm happy so far.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts