Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
supradakotaman said:
Hey all,

forgive me if this is a tired question, but why is it the r/t's towing capability is so low at 2000lbs? Is it suspension limited? or transmission? I mean i can't believe for a second the motor is the cause since it puts out the most power and torque. :confused:
The suspension is the reason why there is a 2000# limit - it alters the geometry for towing off the bumper. If you install a proper Class III/IV/V hitch the tow rating returns to the 6000# range.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks for the info guys, yeah i was looking at my bumper and kept thinking, no way in hell is that bumper going to hold anything, there must be a proper hitch that needs to be installed so it can tow. Honestly id be worried to tow 2000 lbs with that bumper haha. Well, it was just a question based on my curiousity, ill keep in mind the fact of sturdier rear suspension components if i ever do need to tow anything above 2k lbs . :D

G

·
I couldn't get anyone at the dealership to answer the question about the towing capacity when I bought my R/T last year. Where is the weak link? If it's the supension just add some air bags.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2006 Dakota Quad Cab has a 'towing package' with the tow button on the shift lever and the 'ball hole' in the rear bumper. There is also some pretty serious support under the rear bumper extending to the bottom of the bumper that the ball post also passes through. The bumper is marked 2000 lbs, but there is a tag on the support under the bumper that seems to indicate about 5200 lbs (can't read the entire tag). This make any sense?

·
Premium Member
14,342 Posts
The suspension is the problem. If not loaded properly, which most people don't know how to do, the suspension sags and rides on the frame causing possible cracks in the frame. There has never been an "official" reason released by Dodge, but that is the most reasonable reason form insiders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.