Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Wicked 99 RT
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on entering the R/T in some autocross events this year. Currently under the knife getting a new suspension. Any suggestions on wheels size and tire recommendations? I know the brakes need upgraded bad. What is the best brake upgrade without having to rob a bank?

·
Stunt Technician
4 Posts
Hey HailHail99,

Awesome thread. I have an 03' Dakota Single Cab. I bought Powerslot rotors, and Hawk (Green) Pads. I noticed a good difference in brake response, and though I've never had a go-show night with the truck, the brakes fade 'less'.

I got rear discs with the same setup because I'm 03. Usually discs stop better than drums..

Some fools machined a limited number of Viper Brake Adapters, but that costs $, and happened a few years back. Others made Viper 6-speed adapters. Fancy that...

·
Banned
4,469 Posts
I'm planning on entering the R/T in some autocross events this year. Currently under the knife getting a new suspension. Any suggestions on wheels size and tire recommendations? I know the brakes need upgraded bad. What is the best brake upgrade without having to rob a bank?
I'm working on a brake upgrade for our trucks (all you would need to get from me is the brackets). I should be ready to cutting copies by the summer.

As for suspension, highly recommend Hotchkis sway bar kit front & rear, and coils/leafs if you can. At least a 3" drop all around, and with 17s you want 255/50s and with 18s 285/40s.

Notching your frame should help also.

·
Banned
4,140 Posts
really depends on the bank size...and how "lucky" you get at shopping.

being a 99..if you can find them...get the 03 brakes and upgrade the pads and rotors....(i have a set of 04 rotors front a rear if interested)

im not sure of many other setups that arent custom.

as for wheel and tire. the ones in your pic will suffice, unless you are just wanting something different or will have another set just for autocross.

what suspension upgrades are you doing?

·
Registered Loser
1,308 Posts
Just remember, the more you modify it, the higher they bump you in class. I had so much stuff on mine, they put me in SSP (street prepared).
I was racing against Miatas and MR2's and such.

·
Custom User Title
350 Posts
Now I didnt compete in autocross but I did go to some tracks and beat the hell out of my truck. My set up was.

Viper brakes, front only
Air ride shock waves, front only
Hotchkis sway bars front and rear
engery suspension bushings

These are heavy truck and with autocross, the brakes will get very hot so just putting rotors and pads on wont do a whole lot IMHO. I did that the frist round with my truck and cracked the rotors before 3 months. I never had a problem out of my viper brakes. The stock pads werent that great but they stopped a whole lot better than my previous set up.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Just remember, the more you modify it, the higher they bump you in class. I had so much stuff on mine, they put me in SSP (street prepared).
I was racing against Miatas and MR2's and such.
yeah I got bumped into a higher class because of my shaker hood, can't remember the class, however I was only in a class of 4 vechiles .. was like 3rd place time wise :jester:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.