Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to replace the rear shoes on my 02 R/T, and have a question for those of you who have replaced these on your truck.
The shoes on my truck are the original ones, and the they measure 9" for the primary shoe, and 7" for the secondary shoe.
I can't find replacements with the secondary shoe measurement I currently have.
Some auto parts houses say it doesn't matter that the secondary shoes being produced today are either 5" or 6" long.
I say it does matter when we are driving these trucks with these wide wheels and tires.
I think we need all the braking power we can get.
When you replaced the rear shoes, did you find the correct size for your R/T, or did you settlel for the set with the secondary shoe being 3" smaller than the primary shoe, and if so, did you notice any difference in braking power?
Bob.

·
Old Fart
182 Posts
There are a lot of different factors in "braking power" besides the length of the shoe lining, such as friction characteristics of the lining material. As long as you use shoes from a well-known, reputable company (I'm kind of partial to Raybestos myself), you can be confident they'll work as well as the OEM or better.

Also, the short shoe (front) is the primary one. The secondary is the one in the rear.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts