Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

still a little green here ... I have a 98 Dodge 5.9 L Durango SLT package ... now can this be called an R/T or not ... never mind the cosmetic fender colors and all that comes with the R/T ... based on the engine, can I call this an R/T and if so .... where do the badges go .... ? Hopefully I have not offended anyone who is an R/T cosemtic fanatic ....

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
RT/Ralphis said:
Folks,

still a little green here ... I have a 98 Dodge 5.9 L Durango SLT package ... now can this be called an R/T or not ... never mind the cosmetic fender colors and all that comes with the R/T ... based on the engine, can I call this an R/T and if so .... where do the badges go .... ? Hopefully I have not offended anyone who is an R/T cosemtic fanatic ....

:umno:

The Quad Cabs come with a 5.9 in them and there not called R/T's

The R/T also has a different suspension, 17" wheels and, a different muffler than the other models.

But if you do want to put the emblems on its your ride bud not anybody elses. They go where the factory Durango SLT was

·
July Truck of the Month
572 Posts
Well here's a compelling argument then. Most people with an RT change their wheels, exhaust and suspension anyway so I guess that wouldn't be an RT either? 5.9 is an RT, the engine is what makes it an RT

·
Registered
893 Posts
5.9 does not necessarily make it an R/T/ R/T is a package that you buy with the car out of the showroom. Which includes the 5.9 engine and all the shit that Adam has already mentioned.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QuaTscH94 said:
Well here's a compelling argument then. Most people with an RT change their wheels, exhaust and suspension anyway so I guess that wouldn't be an RT either? 5.9 is an RT, the engine is what makes it an RT
Many Durangos came with a 5.9 and they are not R/T's. As for the Durango R/T it's mostly cosmetics and few extra dollars for different springs.

·
July Truck of the Month
572 Posts
N56629 said:
Many Durangos came with a 5.9 and they are not R/T's. As for the Durango R/T it's mostly cosmetics and few extra dollars for different springs.
You missed the point. Those springs and everything else are swapped out anyway hence the only remaining thing that made it an RT in the first place is the engine. Call it what you want, it's got the engine; it aint like someone with a 3.9 is calling there truck an RT cuz then it'd just be a bogus statement.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The big difference with the Durango R/T's is the fact that they are full time AWD. They come standard with 4x4 Hi & Lo plus all the stuff Adam mentioned.

What I would do is just get the 5.9 badge and put that on. That way you are not calling it something it is not, but still letting people know what you got under the hood.

I think it would be a good compromise and please people on both ends of the spectrum.

That being said, it's your D so do what you want and what makes you happy.

Let us know.

Gelly

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
QuaTscH94 said:
You missed the point. Those springs and everything else are swapped out anyway hence the only remaining thing that made it an RT in the first place is the engine. Call it what you want, it's got the engine; it aint like someone with a 3.9 is calling there truck an RT cuz then it'd just be a bogus statement.
Funny you say that because yesterday i was riding around town when i see a green dakota that had "3.9 R/T" on the tailgate. I shit you not...LOL

·
I like trucks
510 Posts
Ive seen worse.........
An s-10 extreme (just screams power dont it?) with r/t badges. And I too shit you not.....
I also love seeing the v6 camaros with the SS badging. cracks me up....

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Gellys01R/T said:
What I would do is just get the 5.9 badge and put that on. That way you are not calling it something it is not, but still letting people know what you got under the hood.

I think it would be a good compromise and please people on both ends of the spectrum.

That being said, it's your D so do what you want and what makes you happy.

Let us know.

Gelly

I agree with Gelly

·
July Truck of the Month
572 Posts
LOL that's hilarious how people try to create the illusion that their v6 is a high powered v8. Yeah, that makes the whole ballgame a little different than someone with a 5.9 slt durango considering their ride is an rt, go for the badging if it makes you happy, personally debadged looks cleaner but to each his own.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
WicKed R/T said:
Funny you say that because yesterday i was riding around town when i see a green dakota that had "3.9 R/T" on the tailgate. I shit you not...LOL

Lmao that might be my next mod...not ..

Hey man like its been said do what you want its your ride ... :biggthump
also imo debadgeing is a lot cleaner look but thats just my opinion man

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Adam said:
dakotaR/T2003-Why call something it is not?
Why not, Dodge did. :jester:

·
July Truck of the Month
572 Posts
Scott, I like the last line in your sig. Feels good to be loved lol. :toast:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Folks .... thanks for the replies .. someone during this post said something about it being my ride and all ... afterall ... It's a BIG BLOCK and R/T sounds appropriate .... I'm sold !!!!

Thanks again ... I think I am going to like it here !!!! :biggthump

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.