Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
www.dfwdakotas.com
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the "White Devil" finally showed its true colors today literally.. Blue, Orange, and Red and very HOT!

Yes the truck burnt down on the side of the road right in front of me while i was going to work. I noticed my fuel pressure gauge drop from 55psi to 20psi it started to run like shit i was literally at the corner of my work when flames started to pour out the sides and smoke came in the vents and filled the cab i jumped out with what i had on and tried to pop the hood... i opened it and flames came out it slammed shut as i didnt have the springs attached at the time.

5 min later the firefighters showed up and by then the truck was a pile of melted plastic and ash.

Everything from the front to the end of the cab is destroyed even the bed cover as the fire blew out the back window and burnt the end of my bed and the top of my bed cover... the only thing i saw worth keeping was the headers, maybe the throttle body, and the rims.. and some suspension shit on the rear. Everything else is GONE... my SCT tuner was in the truck, my ipod, system, my custom one off seats, pcm, rails, intake, valve covers, everything is toast and melted like chocolate on a hot summer day.

here are some photos....

·
www.dfwdakotas.com
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dude that fucking sucks. it was such a sick truck to. Im sorry to hear about your loss though :( have any idea what started the fire?
fuel leak, somthing went wrong not sure what. I have well... HAD a fuel pressure gauge in my truck it went to 20psi from 55psi, i smelt fuel, i was about 3 secs away from work i saw smoke come through the vents. I pulled over and turned it off, opened the hood and boom fire... called 911 and 5 min later its toast.

3 years of blood and work gone in less then 5 min. So sad.

I already went through all my files and pulled all the reciepts of all the parts i have baught for it ect, im at about 7,500$ as of right now, and still missing a few things. Im guessing it will be close to about 9k worth of parts installed on it, including performance, cosmetics, and other other shit like audio ect, ontop of the 9k i spent to buy the truck.

It was paid off, so whatever i get back from the insurnace im putting right back into someone pocket in the Dakota World.. im not done.. im getting another one...

Everyday... i would get compliments on my truck. I stopped to get gas and a guy said to me.. "why did you turn it off?" i looked at him and was like "what?" he said i wasnt done listening to that thing purrr. So old hot rod dude walked up shook my hand and said that thing cant be stock.. i popped the hood and he about nutted himself... and this was 2 days ago prior to this.. im sure he would kill himself now to see it like this.

Either way im not done with the Dakota scene. I run a local club for the them.. and no way in hell im going to let it burn to. So ill be in the market real soon...

·
www.dfwdakotas.com
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think im going to throw up... I cant even imagine what that must have felt like. Time to start looking for a new project.
Im not going to lie... i was 10 feet away from it when it was in full fury of flame. I cried... i had my sunglasses on so no one saw.. but i did shed a few tears for her...

·
www.dfwdakotas.com
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
O i feel like major shit, but im probably just in denial right now.. and a little wasted to... when i wake up in the morning to start my truck and warm in up.. it will hit me.. ill probably act like someone every close to me just died.

But right now im just trying to get all my paper work ready for the insurance people.. im going to get as much as i can from them.. hopefully enough so i can buy one right out and not have a truck payment, as this one was paid off whatever they give me goes straight to my pocket and in to someone elses on this board or another dakota board.. ass ill be lurking the for sale adds quite often now.

·
www.dfwdakotas.com
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Sorry man, that was a really nice, clean truck.

How long have those fuel rails been on there, and any idea/clue if it was the rails or other fuel leak?
Fuel rails where on around Christmas till now.

No idea, but i do know it was a fuel problem as the PSI dropped big time then right after that, it was smoke.. then flames.. then me crying...

I used the blue permatex on all the fittings and even used the o-ring NA fittings for the ends the rails couldn't have leaked... it had to be something else that failed... the fire looked to start on the passenger side by cyl 8, who knows...

All i know is the truck is totally fucked, and im in the market for a new one. It would be REALLY badass to find another Single Cab Bright White so i could clone it to look like my original baby, expect maybe start out with a 6.7 instead of a 5.9 this time.

·
www.dfwdakotas.com
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Really sucks, was a very nice truck. :sorry:

Blue RTV (if that is what was used) has no place in a fuel system. Permatex has a couple of fuel compatible sealers.
LOL.. i didnt use gasket sealer on my Fuel Threads. It was the fuel safe permatex blue thread lock shit.

·
www.dfwdakotas.com
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Did the fuel rails only have one mounting tab on each side, or were there two and I just can't see the 2nd one?
2, the other one is lower then the stock rails, instead of using an long tube you have to use short bolts up front.

Holy crap!

Good thing you got out.

Man, one of my favorite Dakota on this site...

I know it might be a bit soon, but if you wanna sell those fog lights, let me know
Yeah it is to soon as i dont know what im going to do with the parts till i find out if the insurnace is going to fuck me, or help me... im leaning towards fuck...

but in the long run, you probably dont want them, i made the mistake of using 55w HID ballists and the 55w are to hot for the stock fog domes and started to melt the center of them, use ther 24w not the 55, if you ever do use HIDs lol...

know i know this so the next set will be 55w headlights and 24w fogs.

damn dude...sorry to read and see this. vehicle fires are no joke, i'm glad you got out of there. there was a suburban that caught fire at my old work place and it was fully engulfed within two minutes....doesnt take long to get out of control and very dangerous.

Yep about 5 min in and the truck was DONE... 3 years of work.. gone in less then 6 min...

·
www.dfwdakotas.com
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Im getting another one and it has to be an R/T im hoping a single cab white pops up for sale soon, stock or not... i want to clone the one i had remake it.

But if all else fails ill buy one, im looking at a few right now off Delphi forums and a couple local ones.

·
www.dfwdakotas.com
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
just curious, but why does it have to be an R/T? why not just get a dak and do a hemi swap? more power and cheaper
Because i have OCD about this shit... i cant stand when people clone the R/Ts cosmetic work and they say its an R/T because it has rims and it has a 3.7 in it lol.

I want an R/T because they are rare, its the real deal with the VIN and ive always wanted a Dakota R/T... i have 3 cars in my life that i want to own before i die...

1. Dakota R/T 408 Supercharged Bright White

2. 98 Viper GTS

3. 1971 Convertible Cuda (my dads dream car also) so i can knock out 2 birds with one stone if i get this one.

·
www.dfwdakotas.com
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Like i said... im not parting it out until i find out what the insurnace is going to give me... if they are going to dick me over everything that is good on the truck is coming off and they can go fuck themselfs.

The Rim centercaps are already spoken for anyways, i posted this first on my clubs site. I have a local member wanting to buy my r/ts for his 15s so i can put some shit on it for them to roll it away on.

I wont be buying it back as everything worth ANYTHING is now a pile of ash or plastic.

Tomorrow i should be hearing from the "fuck me over people" and ill probably set up a date for them to come look at it and give me a price and see wtf they say....

i may also add that getting a tow truck in my bard yard with a closed fence and bolted shut might keep them out for a few days for me to pull everything.

As or right now i know for a fact im pulling the, mopar pphs and exhaust system, caltracs, intake/throttlebody, rims, taillights, bedrug, foglights if the mounts arent melted, and my 250$ power steering pump hopefully it still works and hopefully i can polish it up and put it on the new one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.