Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have read several places that say to get a mono amp for my 2 12in subs and have had others say to get a 2-channel. I had a 2-channel in there and think it is either toast or i have a wire touching someplace it shouldnt. I keep blowing fuses in it each time i turn the key on.
Any ideas on what to check?
I am going to get another amp anyway because I want more power. Currently the kenwood i have is pretty weak at 600 watts which i am sure is overated.
Should i go with mono and run in parallel or stick with the 2-channel.
Here is a link to the subs that I have. THey are 4ohm
http://www.cardomain.com/item/POLGNX124
Brian

·
Texas
207 Posts
there maybe problems with the amp if they keep blowing.. not to sure you might want to ask @ polkaudio.com It is a good idea to also check all your wiring. You might want to check all of your grounds first to make sure they are making full contact.

For subs you want a mono amp since all of them have a better Lo-pass crossover,a wider hz range. Get an amp that is at least the total of the two subs. 175wattsx2=350watts rms you always want to follow the wattage rms on the subs. Then match them to an amp. Since you have two you want a mono amp the is 2ohm stable since you want to paralle them together. here are two amps.
http://www.cardomain.com/item/MTXTA2301
or
http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROCP3001
this one is refurb.
http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROC4FRP3001

If you need more help I will glady help as much as possible. :wave:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Evilsizer,
Thanks for you help. I appreciate it. I will go online and buy an amp here in a few, but was curious about something. When i run them in parallel do i just splice the wire and run it to both positives and negatives etc.. Looking at the picture that shows the wiring like that I see the positive from the amp going to the positive on both subs, but unless there is something i dont know the only way to do this would be to splice the wire.
Thanks again.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks once again for the info.
What could I go up to that would be safe as far as the amp power. I am looking at getting something along the lines of 600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms, but afraid that it could be too much. I plan on upgrading the subs down the road here so I would like to go as big as i can get right now without blowing them right off the bat. ANy thoughts on that?
thanks, Brian

·
Texas
207 Posts
BLKRT2K said:
Thanks once again for the info.
What could I go up to that would be safe as far as the amp power. I am looking at getting something along the lines of 600 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms, but afraid that it could be too much. I plan on upgrading the subs down the road here so I would like to go as big as i can get right now without blowing them right off the bat. ANy thoughts on that?
thanks, Brian
its hard to say since you want to buy an amp that suites the subs. if you have two subs that can handle 350watts rms each total wattage would be 700wattsrms. Getting an amp that is 600watts rms @ 2ohms will be 300watts rms to each sub when they are wired in paralle.

What you could do is wire the subs in Series which would be ok. what amp are you looking at, ill be able to help you out better.

exp. if the amp you are looking at is 300watts @ 4ohms then @ 8ohms would be 150watts give or take in Series .

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thx Evilsizer
I just purchased the mtx you recommended below. I got a new one just under $250 shipped on ebay. Hopefully will have it by next weekend to install.
now the question is what would you suggest is the best way to wire it with the current subs that I have? Would running in parallel be overkill?

THanks again for all your help.

Brian

·
Texas
207 Posts
Go to the link in post #4 and wire them for seires. since the amp @4ohms is 400watts @8ohms it is going to be 200watts(around there if the voltage to the amp is above 12volts it should be slightly higher) so 100watts to each sub. As far as installing goes with car amps i have not done any yet. Most of what i know is from researching on the net about Home AV. The same rules still apply to Car audio.

Do you plan to install it your self or have someone do it?
After i installed some polk momo's MMC650's really great speakers. I figure its going to better to pay someone to install the amps when i get the money. Still waiting for my new HeadUnit to get here. Waiting for wensday to get here. :drool: :banana2:

I will be posting pics of it when i get the chance.

Your welcome!

·
Car Audio God
502 Posts
BLKRT2K said:
thx Evilsizer
I just purchased the mtx you recommended below. I got a new one just under $250 shipped on ebay. Hopefully will have it by next weekend to install.
now the question is what would you suggest is the best way to wire it with the current subs that I have? Would running in parallel be overkill?

THanks again for all your help.

Brian
Hey, noticed your post. I'm surprised no1 never even asked what susb you have and what config they are? (ex: dual 2ohm, dual 4ohm, single 4ohm)

NG

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well,
I finally got everything installed this weekend. Installing the 6200i Infinity speakers in the rear door was the biggest pain of it all. I never read anything saying that mounting them would be a pain in the arse. I ended up just screwing them into the plastic on the stock mount.
The amp sounds great and has plenty of power, but I need to tweak the settings on it ie; Gain, EQ, FREQ. The amp has a setup for two speakers so I just have each sub hooked up directly to either speaker #1 or #2
Not sure that is the right way, but i wanted to get it setup and ask here for other suggestions.
Brian

·
Texas
207 Posts
BLKRT2K said:
Well,
I finally got everything installed this weekend. Installing the 6200i Infinity speakers in the rear door was the biggest pain of it all. I never read anything saying that mounting them would be a pain in the arse. I ended up just screwing them into the plastic on the stock mount.
The amp sounds great and has plenty of power, but I need to tweak the settings on it ie; Gain, EQ, FREQ. The amp has a setup for two speakers so I just have each sub hooked up directly to either speaker #1 or #2
Not sure that is the right way, but i wanted to get it setup and ask here for other suggestions.
Brian
what head unit are you using? You can hook it up that way.

I have a Altec Lansing ALA200 100watts @4ohms x 2ch, [email protected] with the two channels brigded. so either way if i hooked up subs. Each sub would still get the same amount of wattage. Now if the subs were 2ohm the ALA200 is 2ohm stable but not when brigded. Power output with the 2ohm sub becomes [email protected] x 2ch.

BTW what amp did you get from ebay?
Glad to hear you got it installed! :banana2:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Evilsizer,
I ended up getting the MTX Thunder801D.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-DSm6hg9cekd/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=130&I=236T801D
I have a JVC MP3 Head Unit. Can not remember the model number off hand, but its pretty nice. I have had it for about 2 years or so now.
I have not had any more fuses blow so I guess the kenwood amp was shot.
I had a chance to play with the new setup today and it is really sounding good. My sub box smells like crap for some reason and if that doesnt go away I will have to get a new box. I guess sitting in the garage for a few months did that to it....im not kidding. It smells horrible! I have drive with the windows down for the first 5 minutes or so when i get in.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didnt think it was a good idea or even posssible to run 2 4 ohm subs of a mono amp. Maybe this is a stupid question, but how would I do that.
Brian

·
Car Audio God
502 Posts
thejoker517 said:
youll get more power from the amp if you run it bridged......

:jester:
The thunder 801d is a MONO ampliifier

BLKRT2K said:
I didnt think it was a good idea or even posssible to run 2 4 ohm subs of a mono amp. Maybe this is a stupid question, but how would I do that.
Brian
Ummm, it's perfectly acceptable...and even GOOD on a mono amp. If you run TWO single 4ohm subs in PARALLEL to a mono amp the amp will see a 2ohm load!
Take the positive from both subs and hook it up to the positive of the amplifier speaker input. Then do the same with the negative! peace

NG

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
anyone have any idea?

I just read what I wrote previously..i worded that a bit goofy. I didnt understand what thejoker was talking about running them bridged as its a mono amp. I thought that was only used if it wasnt a mono amp. Maybe I am just confusing Bridged with something else..as I am not an audio expert by any means.
The amp currently has two seperate connections ( i guess for convenience) even though it is a mono amp.
SHould i still only use one of the speaker terminals and wire both of them to that one or should I just run them seperately to each speaker terminal on the amp since there is two speaker connections?

THanks for all the help guys.

Brian

1 - 20 of 21 Posts