Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2002 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7 liter Magnum 163K
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So about a month ago, the wife got a new(er) car, and so the planets finally aligned and I went from a jeep Liberty to the Durango (2002 4.7)!!! Wasn't sure I liked it at first, it felt like driving a whale compared to the jeep. But I've cleaned it up, did minor fixes and exhaust upgrade and I really am liking it! It kinda sounds like a muscle car now, it's got a jegs. It's been years since it's been a daily highway driver, and now it is. My question is this - is the rpm's a little high for only going this speed? (I hope the photo attaches)
Also that CEL is for P0455; so far it's not the gas cap, unless the code needs a manual reset...

Attachments

· Registered
2003 RT (5.9)
513 Posts
2400 @ 82mph? Not high at all. My '03 w/ 5.9 would probably be around/over 3000 at that speed. I am sure that this is the difference in our rear axle ratios & possibly the tire size. That code is for EVAP system leak. I am getting the impression that this vintage of Dak is famous for that (I fought it on mine for a while). Find your purge solenoid; I think that it will either be on the firewall or between the battery & the fender well and it will have a couple vacuum hose size lines (relatively small) coming off of it and it may be near a LDP with a larger hose coming off of it. Somewhere one of those smaller lines should plumb into a 'T' & there should be manifold vacuum line connecting there. I wound up changing all the small diameter vacuum sized lines and also the little adapter fitting (that is on mine) where the two lines connect to the purge solenoid before I got the CEL to go out & stay out.

Oh, and on edit: if you do work on your EVAP system, that CEL will take forever to go out on its own & it is also the last one to come back on if you disconnect your - batt cable.

· Registered
2004 dakota 4.7l cold air, cat back, 545rfe trans detroit locker on a 9.25 265/70r17
70 Posts
So about a month ago, the wife got a new(er) car, and so the planets finally aligned and I went from a jeep Liberty to the Durango (2002 4.7)!!! Wasn't sure I liked it at first, it felt like driving a whale compared to the jeep. But I've cleaned it up, did minor fixes and exhaust upgrade and I really am liking it! It kinda sounds like a muscle car now, it's got a jegs. It's been years since it's been a daily highway driver, and now it is. My question is this - is the rpm's a little high for only going this speed? (I hope the photo attaches)
Also that CEL is for P0455; so far it's not the gas cap, unless the code needs a manual reset...
Are you kidding? That's low. My 2007 4.7 with a manual transmission is a bit over 3000 at that speed with 3.55 gears. Wish I had the 2nd overdrive of that 545rfe.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you kidding? That's low. My 2007 4.7 with a manual transmission is a bit over 3000 at that speed with 3.55 gears. Wish I had the 2nd overdrive of that 545rfe.
It does seem to shift into a mysterious "5th gear" once you're above 48mph or so. What's 545rfe mean? I'm new to the dodge family, even though my dodge can legally drink alcohol.

· Registered
2004 dakota 4.7l cold air, cat back, 545rfe trans detroit locker on a 9.25 265/70r17
70 Posts
It does seem to shift into a mysterious "5th gear" once you're above 48mph or so. What's 545rfe mean? I'm new to the dodge family, even though my dodge can legally drink alcohol.
The 545RFE is the 5 speed automatic transmission they put in the 4.7l dakotas after 2001. Actually its a 6 speed but its hard to explain the 2 second gears. But yes it has 2 OD speeds.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 545RFE is the 5 speed automatic transmission they put in the 4.7l dakotas after 2001. Actually its a 6 speed but its hard to explain the 2 second gears. But yes it has 2 OD speeds.
It is very responsive to downshifting whenever I press the gas a bit, a lot better than the jeep I drove for the last ten years. I'd have to sometimes manually turn off the OD to get it to downshift, otherwise I'd almost have to floor it. It was a 07 Liberty; decent vehicle, still in the family for my oldest son. I was excited to get the Rango, I was sick of driving a girls car. Also thanks for the info, I love learning new stuff about things I like.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts