Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Adrian Guzman
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay my truck uses up the least amount of gas as possible being a 4 banger. its stick shift but i'm just wondering does it use up less gas to down shift or to just put it in neutral and brake. cuz i thought leaving it in neutral would use up less but my friends says downshifting uses less gas. so now i'm asking everybody here :biggthump so if you know let me know and help me out :mullet:

·
Burnin' the tires away
1,751 Posts
Downshifting would cause your rpms to rise, therefore using more gas. Now theoreticly IF you can downshift after you've slowed down enough so that they rise a very small amount (less than what the rpms would be in neutral) then sure you'll use less gas. I still think that you'd use less gas in neutral.

·
Registered
227 Posts
yes you probably would use less gas by throwing it into N but i think it would be very little. not to mention you have to think about how N then causes you to use more brakes and then wear them out more quickly leading to replacement, which is another cost to consider.

·
Getting Old
5,037 Posts
I used to use my gears to slow me down A LOT...then i just used my brakes all the time, never noticed a increase in mileage...then when i started speeding everywhere, i used my gears and brakes to slow down faster. In general u should use the gears only to slow down going down a hill or in slow moving traffic, other than that, use just ur brakes, its easier on ur engine and i guess a little on ur gas.

And ur brakes are supposed to wear and last a long time...and cost at the most 30 bucks to replace. Also, excessive down shifting i think is bad for ur clutch too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.