Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Medium Pimpin
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought an '02 Durango last week and I want to get started on my stereo system. First let me tell you about myself and my situation so you don't waste your time suggesting unnecessary things. I have a 5 week old newborn that rides in the Durango sometimes (not all the time) and also my wife. She appreciates good sounding music as much as anyone, but will yell at me if it is "TOO LOUD" for the baby or for her, blah, blah, blah. My question is this...I want a system that when it's just me without the fam in the car, I want it to pound/sound damn good, but not something that is going to rock them out of the car when they're with me. Also, I'm not looking at a HUGE budget for anything, because...again....i have a newborn to support and they're freaking expensive!!! As of right now..the car has a Panasonic CD player head unit that makes the factory speakers sound suprisingly good, but I want/need more. I'm willing to add subs and an amp, but I need suggestions. Also, remember...I need to sacrifice as little cargo space as possible because of stroller, port-a-crib, etc. So....all that long winded crap being said.....BRING ON THE SUGGESTIONS. Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post.

·
Car Audio God
458 Posts
darkecho said:
Hey guys, I just bought an '02 Durango last week and I want to get started on my stereo system. First let me tell you about myself and my situation so you don't waste your time suggesting unnecessary things. I have a 5 week old newborn that rides in the Durango sometimes (not all the time) and also my wife. She appreciates good sounding music as much as anyone, but will yell at me if it is "TOO LOUD" for the baby or for her, blah, blah, blah. My question is this...I want a system that when it's just me without the fam in the car, I want it to pound/sound damn good, but not something that is going to rock them out of the car when they're with me. Also, I'm not looking at a HUGE budget for anything, because...again....i have a newborn to support and they're freaking expensive!!! As of right now..the car has a Panasonic CD player head unit that makes the factory speakers sound suprisingly good, but I want/need more. I'm willing to add subs and an amp, but I need suggestions. Also, remember...I need to sacrifice as little cargo space as possible because of stroller, port-a-crib, etc. So....all that long winded crap being said.....BRING ON THE SUGGESTIONS. Thanks in advance and sorry for such a long post.
Ok, well first off...i think for the type of sound you're looking for you'll need:
-6.5" Components up front
-Component Amplifier
-One 12" subwoofer
-Subwoofer Amplifier
Also, I can walk you through any install stuff and I also design custom subwoofer enclosures.

So, basically...what IS your budget? Let me know, and I'll give you a few suggestions of the best you can get in that price range!

NG

·
Medium Pimpin
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey NG.....thanks for the reply. Ummm...as far as your questions and responses. First off, I would still be able to get some good sound without buying a 6.5 component system, wouldn't I? If I were just to get some aftermarket 6.5's they'd still sound good, right? I just know that components are just kind of expensive. Ummm...i'm not really set on a budget, but it's not alot. If you would, just make some suggestions for me as far as what's the best sounding on a budget. I know that that makes it hard for you to suggest stuff because it's so vague, but I'm not really sure of a budget right now.

·
Registered
137 Posts
really you can get a nice set of comps for around the same price as a set of ncie coaxs. and you will be much more impressed with components up front at least.

example:
components: $125 (kicker rs6?)
component amp: $100 (mtx, us acoustics, tons?)
12 inch sub (or other): $30(jl w0)-???(RE MT?)
sub amp (tons?): $100-350
wiring [fuses, power wire, speaker wire, ground, distro block] (parts express): $75
box (make it outta mdf or fiberglass for more $$): $30--??
~460--->???

could also get a 5 channel amp and just use one for all speakers...

it really depends on your budget... your tastes are also important. what type of music you listen to. i would take up ngsm on designing a box as well for sure.

·
Home Owner....
1,722 Posts
darkecho said:
Hey NG.....thanks for the reply. Ummm...as far as your questions and responses. First off, I would still be able to get some good sound without buying a 6.5 component system, wouldn't I? If I were just to get some aftermarket 6.5's they'd still sound good, right? I just know that components are just kind of expensive. Ummm...i'm not really set on a budget, but it's not alot. If you would, just make some suggestions for me as far as what's the best sounding on a budget. I know that that makes it hard for you to suggest stuff because it's so vague, but I'm not really sure of a budget right now.

check out this website www.sounddomain.com

should help ya out on some components. you can also go to your off brand stereo stores and get some decent branded stuff at bottom budget prices.

ebay and www.caraudioforum.com for the for sale stuff as well

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I'D go with a 4-channel amp and a set of componets in the front ,then just get a pair of decent coaxails for the rear.start slow worry about the sub later.make sure you get high effiecincy speakers they need less power to sound loud.i'm a big fan of polk audio

·
Car Audio God
458 Posts
darkecho said:
As stated afterwards...components are more affordable than you think. Since you don't have a SET budget worked out now...I'll give you a few things to look at they are a good mix of quality and price.

-Components: CDT CL-61 (~$125)
Email Don, he is an authorized CDT Audio Dealer...sells new with warranty for great prices. His email: [email protected] his AIM: djdilliodon
-Component Amp: Profile CL400 (~$70 or less)
New from an ebay store, www.thezeb.com (they do pricematch ;), www.ikesound.com
-Subwoofer: Plenty of choices...(~$180-250)
www.incriminatoraudio.com (Lethal Injection series, VisionaryAudio has direct prices)
www.ascendantaudio.com (Atlas of Avalanche)
www.soundsplinter.com (rl-i OR rl-p)
www.reaudio.com (SE series, call for direct pricing)
-Subwoofer Amplifier:
Look at Profile Clarus line, viper, DEI, U.S. Acoutics, plenty of choices for neede RMS power. (~$100-200)

So, you're looking at $475-650 for a good all around system! ;)

NG

·
Texas
159 Posts
Since you dont have a hugh budget. I would recommend replacing the factory speakers first then go in and add the amp(s)/sub later on.

Front door options:
Polk DB6750's $112 +$22 shiped (ebay)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18800&item=5765015751&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

or
Polk DB675 $60 +$17 shipped (ebay) <----use in backdoors
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18799&item=5765469913&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

wont take up much room using a .5 cu.ft. box ported with and F3 of 48hz add a MTX 251D amp.
Dayton 8" quatro $49
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=295-545
MTX 251D
ebay (around $100)

just my .02cents

·
Car Audio God
458 Posts
Evilsizer said:
your opinion.... your shouldnt be so "I know all" attitude... he did ask for suggestions. Its going to be his system not yours.
Just because you own Polk and MTX doesn't mean you need to suggest them to EVERYONE else...it's going to be HIS system not yours ;)

I've had experience personally or first hand with almost every audio brand. I'm just telling him the BEST he can get for the amount of money ;)

NG

·
Texas
159 Posts
ngsm13 said:
Just because you own Polk and MTX doesn't mean you need to suggest them to EVERYONE else...it's going to be HIS system not yours ;)

I've had experience personally or first hand with almost every audio brand. I'm just telling him the BEST he can get for the amount of money ;)

NG
i dont own mtx.....lots of people i talked to have recommend polk for the price as well as mtx...... i was just telling him.... but saying what you did with out giving points as to why is counter perductive to help him....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.