Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

Some quick questions about putting the stereo system from my old car into the dakota.

I have 1 set of oversized 6.5" Speakers and a regular set of 6.5" speakers. I also have a single DIN Stereo

I am going to get a stereo harness, and dash kit.

Will my speakers fit in the Dakota? Crutchfield said I needed slim ones, but they said the same thing about my old car, which accepted oversized 6.5" without a problem.

How do you remove the A Pillar trim?

Anyone know how to bypass the Amp? I don't have an FSM and don't trust a Haynes or Clinton Manual

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
you will just have to try the speakers and see. i have type-r 6.5's which are fairly deep and they fit fine. as long as the window can slide down all the way w/o hitting the back of the speaker then you are fine. that is the test to see if they fit.

i never removed the a-pillar trim on this truck, but it can't be too hard. the haynes manual will tell you how.

when you go to buy your HU harness and dash kit also pick up the amp bypass harness. you don't want to go splicing all the wires, that just asks for trouble. they make a plug in harness.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good shit, found a download for the FSM so I'm going to be looking that over to see how much work I have to do to get to the rear speakers.

They sell amp bypasses at car audio stores? I thought someone on here custom made them because they weren't sold..

·
Se habla Español.
1,424 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've found some stereo stuff I might be buying soon so I need some advice (I know jack shit about stereos except to listen and install basic systems)

I'm looking at 6.5" Infinity Reference 6012i Speakers (can get a set of 4 for $80), Crutchfield says they won't fit, but under user reviews, its said that about many cars while they still fit. Has anyone installed these before?

I'm also looking at an MTX Thunderform. It goes under the club cab rear seat. How good are the subs that come with it? I've seen mixed reviews here, some say its good, some say its a rattling piece of shit.

What kind of amp (hopefully priced decently) should I run the MTXs on?

·
7,610 Posts
with the thunderform ull need shallow sub and ive never heard good about the mtx, which i blew a set within 3 weeks with a 400w amp, memphis was the only ones ive ever been happy with

1 - 7 of 7 Posts