Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Dak with the 2.5, didnt come with the factory tach. i am interested in putting an aftermarket race-type guage on it, mounted on the dash. Question is, what pulse tach do i need, and where do i wire into? Again, it dodnt come with a factory tach.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Wouldn't it be easier to swap in a cluster from one with a Tach???

As long as you get the same year or 95-96 you should be able to just swap them.... Pull yours out and make sure the new one match it... I did this swap for a 91 and it was fine... The later ones use a electronic speed sensor to drive the gauge so make sure you get a similiar year...

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Haha I've been thinking about doing the same to my 95 2.5 truck. Same gas gauge issue too lol. The factory 2.5 harness doesn't have the tach signal wire to the cluster. Get an aftermarket gauge and wire in power, ground, lighting, and the tach signal simply goes to the coil I believe.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Keep in mind that it's a very similar (same) motor to the 2.2 and 2.5s in the omni, Daytona, etc. Think boost ;)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Yup, it's mounted just aft of the distributor. All pushrod magnum based motors and the 4 bangers run a coil and disty system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I know how to wire in a tach, Just wondering if the Dak was different. I wonder if I can find one with a green backlight :)

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Autometer nv series has green backlighting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anyone's oil pressure guage not work? Mine dont. I know its pumping, cause I take the oil cap off and I can see oil in the head and it mists at me when i rev it up. I am gonna get an autometer OP guage anyways. DAM dodges and their guages!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hum... No wiring eh?? That's odd because the V6 harness had it... Would it be just as simple to add that wire to the harness? Remove it from a junk yard harness and add it yours??

2.2-2.5 Hop up parts? Well... ... Suggestions...

1. Exhaust... 2.5 tubing and remove as many restrictions as possible
2. Mild port on the cylinder head..
3. They did make camshafts but would be pretty hard to find..

The problem is the weight of the truck... You could do a turbo but I'm guessing a V8 would be easier and less wiring changes..

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I think it is possible to add the wire and pins but I'm not 100% sure on that. I removed the cat and installed a turbo muffler, didn't notice much of a change at all. Other than it made the large jump in the power band more noticeable. Literally around 2500 rpm or so (estimated) it you can dramatically feel an increase in acceleration lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts