Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yeah, I know I'm taking this project too far... I'm a perfectionist, gotta make sure every detail is all good.

So anyways I'm removing the whole rear assembly of my truck so I can get the bad rust off the differential and surrounding area.

It seems like I can just pull the drive shaft out of the yoke and just roll the whole assembly away, paint it, then roll it back, and slide the shaft back into the t-case.... would that be a bad idea? are the gears paired up or something? do I risk loosing oil from the t-case, or getting dirt in there when its open? will it rip seals when I slide it back in?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Yep, Just pull it out. Have a catch pan handy, some fluid may run out of the t-case but not much. Once you have it out be care full not to ding the machined portion of the slip yoke and you will not need to worry about tearing the seal when you put it back in.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, Just pull it out. Have a catch pan handy, some fluid may run out of the t-case but not much. Once you have it out be care full not to ding the machined portion of the slip yoke and you will not need to worry about tearing the seal when you put it back in.
cool. what fluid comes out, and do I have to top it back off?

should I mark the bottom of the axle when I take it off so it lines back up exactly how it was.... or is that unnecessary overkill?

·
My horns hold up my halo!
5,992 Posts
you should not have to worry about lining things back up. the drive shaft is balanced, not sure on the t-case, but i think you just need to top off your tranny fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts