Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a current owner of a 95 5.2 Jeep GC with 155,000 miles. I am going to replace it with a Dakota CC. Ideally I'd like an R/T, but I am fairly impressed with my 5.2, so a Sport is not out of the question if there are upgrades available. AZ is really tough with emissions, so that may limit some mods. The truck will be a daily driver and will probably also replace my '83 turbo Regal as a "toy"

So what are the pros/cons of 5.2 vs. 5.9 vs. others? Sport vs. R/T?

·
Registered
449 Posts
I own a 03 Dak CC R/T with the 5.9 V8 (360) Current Mods: K&N Gen2 intake, hypertech chip and Flowmaster 40 series muffler with 3 inch piping from cat back. I really enjoy my truck. I have recieved numerous complments and even more head turns. Here is a list of Pros and Cons

Pros
Powerful V8
Sleak Looks
Pre Lowered 1 inch
Stock body kit (stampede package)
Can kick ass street racing or 1/4 mile
Truck with a race car attitude :D
Not too big like F250 or Rams but not small like S10 or Rangers
Plenty of Compartments inside
Just a Damn sexy vehicle
ITS AN R/T! What More can I say :woot:

Cons
Sometimes I wish it was stick (although I don't know how to drive a stick :stick: )
Gas monster
The rear seats aren't really for seating grown adults (My subs sit back there anyways)

I couldn't think of any other cons

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hm can't compare mine to a 5.2 since I never drove a 5.2 but I can say this about my 01 cc r/t; mods: 360 intake, Hella hid headlights (first and best mod i ever did! bling! :woot: ), flowmaster super 40 (this weekend! i can't wait lol) and the rest is stock.

Pros:

awesome torque
great looks
handling is remarkable (isn't it .87 or .88 lateral g's stock?) for a truck
infiniti stereo with steering wheel controls
overall fun to putt around in
very few people know what it is/seen one

Cons:

drinks gas
top end power needs help, it seems to run out of breath on the fwy above 80(hopefully a throttle body, m1 manifold, better exhaust and hypertech will help that)
wheels spin at will (good for fun and bad for rain/near cops)
it barely fits in my garage (has to be parked in it perfect everytime...though i have a small garage :jester: )

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a R/T
Here's my opinion

Pro's

NO REPLACEMENT FOR DISPLACEMENT (thats all that needs to be said) :D
i'll add some other pro's i guess
good ride quality for a sport truck
comfortable interior (CC)

Cons

Be ready to spend some serious cash on gas
Change tires at least once a year, well if your runnin the RSA's

·
Registered
504 Posts
Unfortunately you’re only choice with the RT is to buy a used RT since Dodge no longer makes them. It is also unfortunate that not all Dakota RT owners take care of their rides so be careful when choosing one.

If your itching to spend some cash and want a new truck wait until late spring and look at the 05 with the Stampede package. The new HO V8 is generating 260 HP @ 310 foot pounds of torque. The down side is that it will be offered in auto only and I’m sure that Dodge will be wanting a bundle of cash for it.

If your in the market for used then I would opt for the RT. The 360 is a great power plant and you can build it beyond belief. Maybe call the boys at KRC or Hughes and ask if they know of any used RTs that are for sale. They may know of a few that are highly modified.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mopar rt said:
If your in the market for used then I would opt for the RT. The 360 is a great power plant and you can build it beyond belief. Maybe call the boys at KRC or Hughes and ask if they know of any used RTs that are for sale. They may know of a few that are highly modified.
Oh, yeah. Used for sure. Who are KRC and/or Hughes? My real question is whether it would be worth driving a 318 Sport for a while and piece together the normal suspension upgrades done on an R/T, or if I should just look for an R/T and upgrade from there.

I am looking for a 1998-2002 CC, but can't figure out whether a 360 is worth the extra $

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
That depends on if you want a daily driver or a truck to have fun with. My R/T is not my daily driver. Its a once or twice a week cruiser. Since Dodge no longer makes the R/T, I plan on making mine into a collectors item so that in 20 years I can take it to auto shows and show it off.

Of course, when I say I am making a collectors item, that means mad mods, which means no gas mileage whatsoever.

The question is, do you just want a Sport that you can make look good and run mildly fast, or do you want a street truck that you can make nasty ?

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
165 Posts
Get the R/T. you can find a good used on on ebay or the forums or on autotrader.com. Check out KRCperforformance.com, socaldakota.com, thefastman.com, gsmotorsports.com. they have some awsome upgrades for the R/T. plus the R/T has heavy duty parts unlike the sport model. I know the axles and differential is larger than the regular sport. You just get more for your money with the R/T. Once you drive the R/T you'll be hooked. I know i was. I mean i like the SRT-10 Ram and the Lightning but for the money you save by buying a R/T you can put mods on your truck and smoke those things while spending just as much or less than the sticker price of those two trucks.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Yea, what he said. But, dont leave out southeast rt run by John Mercedes. Hes one of the best when it comes to making power. www.southeastrt.com and usually he has the best prices.

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
165 Posts
thanks i forgot about him. I have heard that he has awsome prices but i never dealt with him. I usually just dealt with Sam at SoCalDakota or KRC. But i'm going to start dealing with Fastman and Scott at GS. Basically everyone knows what they are doing just know what you want to do with your ride, whether you want to rip up the street or you want an all out drag truck. They'll all hook you up with the right parts.

Just a tip. Be patient. Don't buy the first R/T that you see, give it time and shop around. Your bound to find a hell of a deal somewhere on a great R/T. I've seen basically stock R/T's that are somewhat new and they go for cheap to Supercharged and stroked R/T's on ebay that are going cheap. "Patients is the key my friend"

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
R/T's are nice, but don't rev very high and are heavy as hell. Look at the light and high revving 4.7 li. the 4.7 Motorsports Ed. produces 271 HP bone stock. That's 21 more HP than the R/T. BuyMyDak has one for sale. Heavy duty tranny, suspention, and lots of goodies. These were introduced in 2001 to commemorate Dodges return to NASCAR and are extremely hard to find. I hope you get what you want, 4.7, 5.2, or 5.9...as long as you keep loving the Kota.

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
SuperKota01 said:
R/T's are nice, but don't rev very high and are heavy as hell. Look at the light and high revving 4.7 li. the 4.7 Motorsports Ed. produces 271 HP bone stock. That's 21 more HP than the R/T. BuyMyDak has one for sale. Heavy duty tranny, suspention, and lots of goodies. These were introduced in 2001 to commemorate Dodges return to NASCAR and are extremely hard to find. I hope you get what you want, 4.7, 5.2, or 5.9...as long as you keep loving the Kota.
NEVER has a 4.7 came from the factory makin 271 hp.....nuff said. And who says you cant rev up a 360? Slap on a better valve train and you can go as high as you want. I know Danno up in WA spins his RC R/T to 6500 with no prob.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The main reason I have the 5.2/318 is because I prefer a manual shifter to an automatic. The R/T was only offered with the automatic. However, the 318 has been around a long time and there are plenty of performance parts available and that's what "Hot Rodding" is all about. :)

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
The 4.7L is a damn good engine, but it never was rated at 271hp, It is 230hp in the dak and i think 235 in the Ram. the new 4.7 HO is rated at 260HP and that the most they have ever rated that engine at.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts