Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks!!

I've been considering upgrades for the Rango lighting for a while now & really like these:

http://www.spyderauto.com/19972004-dodge-dakota-19982003-dodge-durango-black-housing-halo-angel-eyes-projector-headlights-p-298.html?cPath=26_76_648_2681

http://www.spyderauto.com/20012004-dodge-dakota-20012003-dodge-durango-halo-angel-eyes-projector-lights-p-158.html?cPath=26_76_648_1746

http://www.spyderauto.com/19962000-dodge-caravan-black-housing-tail-lights-p-1220.html?cPath=26_76_77_640

Anyone have any experience with this product? Can't seem to find a Canadian dealer for this stuff either. Any suggestions/comments will be much appreciated:wave:.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hello cdndurango, I will hopefully be installing projectors with HID high/low beam this weekend (if it all arrives in time). Since you are also a resident of Calgary, we could meet up for a live inspection.

From what I have seen, you are best to purchase your projectors from Ebay or a discount U.S. based parts company. Shipping included, the pricing was still quite a bit less than any Canadian supplier I could find.

I'll include a price breakdown of all items used in my conversion in a thread I had started prior regarding 1 piece headlights.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello cdndurango, I will hopefully be installing projectors with HID high/low beam this weekend (if it all arrives in time). Since you are also a resident of Calgary, we could meet up for a live inspection.

From what I have seen, you are best to purchase your projectors from Ebay or a discount U.S. based parts company. Shipping included, the pricing was still quite a bit less than any Canadian supplier I could find.

I'll include a price breakdown of all items used in my conversion in a thread I had started prior regarding 1 piece headlights.
Nice to see another Canuck on the board!

Thanks for the reply. I have found a dealer from Georgia that is very reasonable about pricing but will ship only UPS & the bloody brokerage fees are totally silly. Only a 90 day warranty too. You say you went Ebay but who did you ultimately end up getting yours from?

I too debated about the HID conversion but decided to go with a lamp upgrade(PIAA Extreme White Plus) instead. Big improvement!

Curious about which headlight you chose...care to share?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
keep in mind that your d will look like a frog with that 3D eyes popping out.
these look better.
but this is just my taste.
Yeah I considered those too but they're kinda 'busy' looking in my opinion. Who knows, might end up with these after all, have'nt bought anything yet.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The set I purchased is the same "bug eye" projector in your attachment. The only difference is that I ordered the smoked chrome refector set, not the black as you have pictured.

The total cost was $226.64 USD all included ($126.64 lights / $100.00 shipping), the killer being north of the 49th is shipping.

The issues you'll have in upgrading your lights before your housing is the bulbs won't cross over. The 9007 bulb you had purchased for your factory lights will not fit a prefab projector housing, as the projector housing you have pictured requires a 9006 low beam and an H1 high beam. If you wish to retain your factory bulb system you may wish to look into the crystal clear factory replacement, or the one piece non-projector type housings.

·
5 Door Whore #176
375 Posts
hey cdn I have the tinted chrome ones like srt is talking about for sale asking 100 for them if your interested let me know and we can see what we can figure out for shipping for you I only had them on my truck long enough to check fitment and then took them off because they won't work for the hid conversion I want to do pics are in the for sale section

·
Registered
333 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
i have the smoked version of this light as well! when i ordered them i was hoping just the chrome part was smoked instead of the lense but i might sell mine to buy a black set.....i really want a clear lense

·
Registered
333 Posts
i have the smoked version of this light as well! when i ordered them i was hoping just the chrome part was smoked instead of the lense but i might sell mine to buy a black set.....i really want a clear lense
If your talking about my tail lights... DUDE! I had the same thing happen to me i bought the smoked ones thinking it was going to be black on the inside and a clear lens but after all the disappointment i called the retailer i bought them from and talked them into exchanging the ones i got for the clear black ones (told the girl she sounded pretty :) they just charged me an extra $20 for the hassle

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the replies folks!! Just about ready to order the whole shabang from JM Auto Racing. Pretty reasonable dealing with Joe. Wondering about going with just the low beam HIDs or should I get the low/high set-up? I do a fair bit of night time driving but thinking that since 80-90% of it is with low beam, & the fact that the high beam will be an H1 or H3(not sure which), running the low beam HIDs only will still be notably better than the stock headlights with the PIAA extreme whites. Opinions?

·
Chevy SUCKS!!!!!!!
1,685 Posts
I can't speak for any other state but in VA to pass the state inspection you have to have high and low beams. You can't be failed for the HID part, but if they don't have a high beam you won't pass unless you know someone that is willing to break the law to help you out and the VA state police take that crap extremely seriously.

·
Staying auto ;)
771 Posts
What you can do is wire a relay off the high beam and run a second set of fog lights in your grill that come on with the headlights on highbeam. Worked for me in RI, as long as the HID's are NOT aimed high, there is a point were the beam from the bulbs is BLINDING, and you MUST make sure that point is aimed at the ground, you still get a very nice light output, it just doesnt burn everyones eyes out. I HATE kids that give HID's a bad name because they dont aim them and are ignorant.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies guys. If I understand correctly with the low beam HIDs in the headlights I'm going with & the kit JM is providing I will have low beam HID along with the halogen highbeam(all works with the factory wiring harness). I was just wondering if it's worth upgrading the highbeam to HID as well.

·
5 Door Whore #176
375 Posts
with the hid lights its very bad for them to be turned on and off such as switching between high and low beam your best bet if going with hid is to get a bi xenon projector in them that does hi and low beam all from the same light I believe jm auto racing puts bi xenon projectors in the lights but I'm not positive I would check with him to make sure plus you get much better high beams that way too

·
Staying auto ;)
771 Posts
hes got a different set up
HID stays on at all times, and high beam light just adds to it(from what Im understanding)
Im wireing my HID's to high and low at all times no matter what "beam" is technically on.

·
5 Door Whore #176
375 Posts
hes got a different set up
HID stays on at all times, and high beam light just adds to it(from what Im understanding)
Im wireing my HID's to high and low at all times no matter what "beam" is technically on.
that will work too I haven't looked into JM's setups but I do believe he said it was the e55 projector which is a bixenon but he may not be using it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts