Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, well i lifted my truck with a 3" body lift and now my westin step bars won't bolt in casue the new bolts that i got that mon't the body aren't long enough. I went to local hardware store to and got longer bolts, but now the threads on them don't match up; I went to a bolt shop and they said i need a bolt with 12MM x 1.75 Pitch. so i took a Tap and Die set and Re-threaded the bolts to the certain size needed. My question is that i was wondering if the bolts that were Re-threaded still be strong enough to hold everything in place. Please help me! :bow:

·
Registered
250 Posts
that depends on how much material is left after you cut them. your best bet is to buy the longer bolts with the correct thread pitch.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
they don't make them anylonger than 6 inches, its gona cost $46 a bolt to have them made,.....Price Qouted from Maryland Metric

·
Registered
75 Posts
Shave a 1/4" off your lift kit pucks and use the bolts that came with the kit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
eh no worries now......

well i re-threaded some new bolts and to test the strenght of the threads before putting them on my truck. i took and extra bolt and used a 5 ton jack welded to a nut which would screw onto the newly threaded bolt, turns out that the lil scale on the hydrolic ram reached 2361 pounds of pressure before the threads collapsed and striped, so i think that with 4 of em,.... it should be plenty strong enough :mullet:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts