Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just installed a powerdyne on my 2000 r/t. when i go through the rpm range slowly the blower wines up, but if i punch it, the belt squeaks, that means its slippin right? plus when i hit around 4000 and up, it miss fires. anyone know wat i can do? checked belt tension and everything after every time i run it. and seems to still be tight.

·
Chest Thumper
770 Posts
sniper rt said:
just installed a powerdyne on my 2000 r/t. when i go through the rpm range slowly the blower wines up, but if i punch it, the belt squeaks, that means its slippin right? plus when i hit around 4000 and up, it miss fires. anyone know wat i can do? checked belt tension and everything after every time i run it. and seems to still be tight.
how much boost are u runnig, how much timming is being pulled, what disk in the fmu?

·
It's not my fault!
299 Posts
Do you have the stock kit or did you add one of GSMs bracket kits to reuse the stock tensioner? What kind of belt are you using? Are you running an MSD BTM ignition or something similar?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
running i beleive the stock 6 psi, used kit from a 99 5.2. running a msd 6a with 24 lbs injectors. and the belt the came with it was for an engine with a/c so i had measured wat i needed w/o a/c and had an auto shop get me a similar sized belt. i cant find the kit from gsm to use the stock tensioner on there website, if i could find that i would def. buy that since the set up with powerdyne sucks for there tensioner. its weird cuz at high rpms the belt squeaks like when its wet or something. first time workin with a blower so not sure of all the things i should be hearin and not. that means its slippin up high right?

·
It's not my fault!
299 Posts
You need to call Scott at GSM. It is not on their website but they do still sell it. $200 was what it used to run shipped. Includes the bracket to run the stock tensioner, and some mandrel bent intake tubing with a boss for a bypass valve.

Consider swapping your MSD 6A for a BTM version. That will allow the ignition to automatically adjust timing at higher boost levels to reduce detonation. Powerdyne was bundling it on all 2000+ Dodge applications, but was not actually required for pre 2000 though.

I think I still have a PDF on how to make a bracket for the powerdyne. Ran across it a while back, kept it just in case. However the directions seem to be different from what Scott's solution is.

Goodyear Gatorbacks work best on the powerdyne, they tend to be a little grippier than most. If you can find a belt for the correct size consider getting one. From what I have read the powerdyne slips the most at higher rpms, nature of the beast.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thnx, i planned on gettin a msd btm and get rid of the 6a, and so my best bet is to call gsm and get that kit to use my stock tensioner?

·
Chest Thumper
770 Posts
u were running boost with out retarding the timming? imo i wouldent run the blower till u had sumthing to retard it. for fuel do you have anything other then the 24lbers? like a fmu

·
It's not my fault!
299 Posts
sniper rt said:
ok thnx, i planned on gettin a msd btm and get rid of the 6a, and so my best bet is to call gsm and get that kit to use my stock tensioner?
From what I have heard the GSM kit helps out a lot. I know a local guy with an RT, has the Powerdyne on his, runs fine. He has the GSM kit as well, but he swapped the Powerdyne pulley for a 7-rib one, found an 8-rib belt from Gates and sliced the extra rib off. Reports no slippage problems at all.

Do you have the aux fuel pump installed as well? Typical Powerdyne kit includes one and an FMU.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
havent installed the fuel system that came with the supercharger yet, i know i need it just didnt think that would be a cause of the belt slippin, dont really get on it like i said do to the slippin so i really dont need somethin to retard the boost yet, im in the process of purchasin a msd btm right now so with in the next week or so i will have something to retard the boost. i will also call gsm and ask about the belt tensioner. ill try out the btm, the rest of the fuel system, and the stock tensior kit and ill see what happens. thanx again for the advice, like i said first time with a blower and just tryin to understand everything. ill def. be back again probably with some more questions. thanx again

·
Registered
140 Posts
i may be wrong but not installing all the parts is not good...u may be driving a time bomb...that extra fuel is necessary to prevent detonation and so is the btm...u may want to rethink driving it til all is installed...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.