Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brakes have been shaking when going high speeds and I figured I would change the pads and rotors. Everything was going good until I was re assembling the caliper. The part where the bolt secures it to the steering knuckle has completely corroded. The caliper no longer screws on tight but just wiggles.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this? Besides buying a new knuckle or finding one in a junkyard what can be done?

G

·
Stop by any NAPA store and ask them for a oversized caliper bolt. It will be on the HELP display. It's about $25 IIRC and should cure your problem.

G

·
ok, sounds good. Do I need to rethread the hole? or is the bolt designed for that?
The oversized bolt is designed to cut new threads as it goes in. I've got one in the front of my RT that's been there for over 8 years and have had it in and out several times and still holding great. These are real life savers!! :mullet:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The oversized bolt is designed to cut new threads as it goes in. I've got one in the front of my RT that's been there for over 8 years and have had it in and out several times and still holding great. These are real life savers!! :mullet:
Thanks for the help. When I first noticed it I was really worried about what I would have to do to fix it.

Now back outside to fix the trusty dak.

On a side note. The bastards who aligned my truck thought it would be appropriate to use an impact wrench on the lug nuts. It took two 23 year olds pulling with all their might to get the bolts off.

G

·
Thanks for the help. When I first noticed it I was really worried about what I would have to do to fix it.

Now back outside to fix the trusty dak.

On a side note. The bastards who aligned my truck thought it would be appropriate to use an impact wrench on the lug nuts. It took two 23 year olds pulling with all their might to get the bolts off.
Been there, done that on the lug nuts! Make you want to go back and shove the damn air wratchet up his ass!!! :rant:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So it turns out I couldn't move one of the bolts no matter what I tried. I finally decided to take it back to the shop. They assured me they torqued it to spec. It took the techs two hours and they broke 5 impact sockets trying to remove the bolt.

G

·
So it turns out I couldn't move one of the bolts no matter what I tried. I finally decided to take it back to the shop. They assured me they torqued it to spec. It took the techs two hours and they broke 5 impact sockets trying to remove the bolt.
Good call! Torqued to specs my ass!! :jester:

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
jesus christ! those dicks. but atleast they actually tightened the bolts. when firestone did my last alignment on my GMC they never tightened up the upper control arm bolt at the frame. that made a HELL of a noise when the suspension moved. idiots....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts