Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 93 dakota 4x4 with the 5.2L V8 and for awhile I have had a problem with it dieing every now and then. The problem is the problem doesn't always surface. Somtimes it will die when u first put it into reverse and somtimes it will die after I am backed out of the drive way then put it into drive. For the longest time it only did it when it got low on gas and only when coming to a stop or at low rpms. But now it doesn't matter how much gas and it doesn't always have to be put into gear either. It mainly did it when the engine was warmed up but now it will do it when ever. One morning when i getting ready to go to school I started it up and it was fine and I backed it under the carport and it was still fine then i put it in neutral and it sat for about 30sec with the park brake on while i grabing somthing out of the house (some transmission person said that it doesn't get tranny fluid in park on those dakotas so thats y i left it in neutral so it would get all the way into reverse) then I went to the end of the drive and waited for some cars to get out of the way and the I backed out then put it in drive and it died. So I started it back up and it die again then I started it a third again which was hard and I put my foot on the gas pedel and it was running extremely low rpms and i was surprised it stayed running it was like 250rpms and then i thought to was dead cause the tac dipped to zero then up when I hit the gas and it barely kept running then I got p***ed off and floored it to get in the drive way and it took it at least 6feet before it got with it and went then it spun the tires. Now it has been fine for my dad for like 2 or 3 weeks not a single problem and he is going to make me start driveing it again so that is why i am asking for your help to see if u can help me firgure this out. Oh I almost forgot I scanned it and a code said short in purge solenoid but there is not purge solenoid there that we can find and we even looked in the chiltons book and its not there. any help would be greatful. thanks in advance.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place i just noticed the trouble shoot forum.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 93' Would die off and on like that too, would die soemtimes and not want to start for a time. The fact that it does it more often with low fuel spells fuel pump issues to me. The pump runs hotter without the large volume of fuel around it to keep it cool.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I originally thought it was somthing like that too or maybe a plugged fuel filter that needed to be changed but it just started out like that now it doesn't always die even on a 1/4 tank and somtimes it dies when it is above 3/4 of a tank so I don't know what to think. It can somtimes go around a month or so and not die or just die going into drive every now and then it starts right back up and its fine but somtimes it just won't stay running at all no matter what. But if it was the fuel system then it wouldn't make sense to me that it would be fine as long as it is above like 1000rpm it doesn't cut out either and when u step on it it goes so it doesn't act like it is starveing for fuel it is just like it has a hard time if it is under 1000rpm and only every now and then it doesn't even do it all the time which is makeing it hard to trouble shoot.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Well the fuel pumps are notorious on the Gen 2's. Mine would fire up put it in drive tap the throttle to go and it'd die. So I was hunting elsewhere and it was so intermitent.

Died on me one time far from home at a gas station. Wouldnt start for an hour then it was fine for se veral months. At the time I chalked it up to be -35 out and thought I must have had some ice in the tank.

Then it died again at home the same way. I checked for pressure @ the fuel rail by just pushing the schrader valve down. No fuel. New pump and never had an issue again

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like everyone else has mentioned, it sounds like a fuel pump to me. The next time it starts stalling on you, see if you can get under the truck and try banging on the bottom of your fuel tank. I know, at times, this will be a hard thing to do, especially if you've just backed out of your driveway. Like everyone else here, I have had my fair share of fuel pump problems on my '92 5.2L. In case you're wondering, your fuel pump is inside the tank, and banging on it might temporarily "jar" it back to working for you. I know it sounds like a corny idea, but it worked for me while mine died at the gas pumps while I was there for a fill up. There will be no pattern for fuel pump problems for our Gen IIs. Works one minute, and dies the next.
Good luck......
Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
:banana2: I also have a 93 5.2L 4x4 I am having the same problem right now but i figured it out.It was the Idle speed control motor,thats probably why it was giving you an eror code for a "purge valve".it is on the back of your throttle body.take a no.20 torx screwdriver,take it off push in on the valve if its really stiff and doesn't retract it is bad.clean out the hole it goes in put the new one in.when you buy a new one make sure it doesn't have a gold casing around it make sure its black like the factory one.gold ones are pieces of s***.reply if it fixed it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx i will have to keep that in mind. It hasn't acted up in over a month or close to it and my dad (I am only 15 and have a school liscece, his truck) won't do anything to try and fix it while it is acting fine but i know it will start doing it again. It always does. But thanx for the information I will remember that for when it starts acting up again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would also try the TPS sensor. I did the plenum gasket on my truck and didn't plug the TPS sensor back in all the way, and when i would back out of my driveway and put the truck in drive it would die, it could also be that. Check that when you check the IAC. The tps sensor is on the side of the throttle body held on by two torx screws. Theres really no way of cleaning it out, its mostly a guess and check, I don't know how much they cost from auto parts stores. I don't think their to expensive though, maybe 30 bucks?..hopefully someone else will chime in and tell you. Good luck with it. I don't think their to expensive though, maybe 30 bucks?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.