Dakota Durango Forum banner

Pretty desperate here...

4K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  vimnjicki 
#1 ·
I've been working on this '97 Dak sport ext cab 4x4 since may of '11 and I'm to the point of desperation, almost. Bottom line, I need an engine wiring harness for the truck with the 5.2L. I cant use the VIN from the stock truck because I have transplanted a 5.9L with the 46RE tranny in place of the V6 and 42RE, plus the dealer tells me they no longer manufacture the 5.2L engine harness. I had used the V6 harness after adding the two additional injectors and it did start after the transplant but failed soon after due to the brand new oil pump failing. It turns over but no spark since the re-installation of the motor. Its now been at the dealer for service for 7 weeks. They cant seem to figure it out. Does anyone know of where I can pick up a good harness? I have tried the local pick-a-parts and the junk yards but no one has one. Thanks for anything.

#6 ·
Hey, Tom! Yeah, I have gotten it running but just not well nor smog-able, yet. I'm working with Hemifever on the tune. It will smoke the tires from first through second from a rolling start. I just have to remember that the engine isnt even broken in yet and therefore have to be patient. Next? A good quality AFR setup with data logger then off to the local dyno. It's encouraging yet frustrating. Can't wait o get he truck off road and in four wheel drive. Thanks for asking.

#7 ·
Good to hear. Sounds like you're through the worst of it, at least. Is that a stock 5.9, or did you modify it? I've been thinking about putting a 5.9 in mine some day, but I'm not sure the power difference from the 5.2 would be worth the money and effort.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

#8 ·
The only thing stock is the crank and connecting rods although both of them have been reconditioned and machined. It's no longer a 5.9 actually, it's a 6.0. From what I have read and researched, the 5.2 can make plenty of power so given your choice, keep the 5.2. Oh and since the '97 wasn't offered with the 5.9, it has been a hassle making some things match, especially in a 4x4.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.