Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Work Truck
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone have the powertrax lockers for your rear differential? Tell me what you think of it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seeing that I'm running an open diff on my Durango, I did some research and came across the Powertrax unit. Looks interesting. But is it worth the investment? My ride will be driven mostly on on the street so I need something quiet (not like the Detroit Locker I had in my street pro Nova back in the day).

Anyone?

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
My theory on this, why by the Powertrax, or the older/newer Eaton ELocker when you can get the Detroit or the Auburn (High Performance Series) for the same money. Now with saying that, Eaton purchased Tractech Holdings at the beginning of this year (Tractech is the parent company of Detroit)

In my experiences, I do not like Richmond Gears, who make the Powertrax lockers. I've had gear's in both my vehicle (1970 Cutlass) and a friends vehicle (1966 Chevelle) break teeth. I know that this does not relate to the Diff/carrier, but I shun away from quality like that. I know others will tell you different - just my 2 pennies.

As for what you had in your Nova - you shoulda went w/ the Moroso (I know this is hindsight). I ended up switching to the Brute Strength 4 series carrier w/4.88's in my Olds & loved it.

The Detroit for the 9.25 is not noisey and very streetable. Mine will be installed by the end of the month and I've heard nothing but good about it. This came from a buddy of mine that is opening his own 4wd shop here in STL and from others here on the board.

My advice - go with the Detroit and a set of Yukon's...you won't be dissapointed :biggthump

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
lilguido1 said:
The Detroit for the 9.25 is not noisey and very streetable. Mine will be installed by the end of the month and I've heard nothing but good about it. This came from a buddy of mine that is opening his own 4wd shop here in STL and from others here on the board.

My advice - go with the Detroit and a set of Yukon's...you won't be dissapointed :biggthump
^ Agreed ^

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up guys.

lilguido1: By the way, I ran a Ford 9" in my Nova. I don't believe Moroso makes a Brute Force unit for that diff. Besides, I was never crazy about Chevy's drivetrain. IMO, not many diffs out there can take a beating and are as versatile as the Ford 9". Sure, the Dana 60 is damn strong, but I like the idea of removing a pumpkin and setting up the gears on a workbench.

Got a link to the Detroit Locker for the 9.5 guys?

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts