Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the deal. I hear a lot of negative comments about Powerdyne. Are they crap or can they keep up with Vortech and the like? I ask because I found a blower with a bunch of extras for fairly cheap, kind of thinking about getting it. What do you all think?

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
depends on how cheap is cheap. im sure itll boost just as much as the others. its better then what you got now right...not sure about their reputation though

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
I believe one of the main problems with the Powerdyne is the inability to make boost at higher levels (such as with a #11lb pulley) When those units start making that kind of boost, they begin to go down south. I also think the Powerdyne's use a 6 rib belt while belts on r/t's are 7 rib, this creates a belt slippage problem. If you're looking for an entry level blower and dont really want to run a high amount of boost, go with the PD. If you want more flexability, love tinkering around, and making lots of boost go for Paxton/Vortech.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is is me or does the 5.9 motor have problems with blowing head gaskets? I also was told that they ping like crazy with the blowers installed cause the maping is tough to tune? Give me details....thanks.:huh:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MR GO FAST said:
Is is me or does the 5.9 motor have problems with blowing head gaskets? I also was told that they ping like crazy with the blowers installed cause the maping is tough to tune? Give me details....thanks.:huh:
I have heard that the 5.9 is ok with minimal boost (6psi). At 7-8 there is a good possibiliy you could blow the (factory) gasket. If I add a S/C, I want to run 8+lbs of boost. I will replace my head gasket with a new Felpro and use different head bolts before the S/C install and replace the plentum gasket at the sametime. I hear you can go 10+ if you do this.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been wondering about powerdyne myself...I keep hearing you have to rebuild the things every 2-3 years though...that sux..

I just wanna run 6psi, people are saying I need an MSD with it also..I'm so confused ;(

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, why is the MSD recommanded? Can someone explain that to me? I run 94 gas in it now cause I have some mods *one is a Mopar PCM, which requires high octane* I do know that the bypass valve is recommanded too.
I'll be happy with the 6psi...I can do other stuff with the engine to get more out of it :jester:

My Mods:
Mopar PCM
True Dual with PPH Headers *ceramic* high flow Cats and Turbopacs
1.7 Roller Rockers
50MM Fastman TB

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That and the rebuilding thing has got me...is that really true?? and every 2-3 years???

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sisyphus said:
That and the rebuilding thing has got me...is that really true?? and every 2-3 years???
At 6psi it would be (about) $300 every few years if your using the good bearings and kevlar belt to have someone do it for you and do it right . No biggie...

·
Registered
685 Posts
The main reason I would have the MSD is so I could put a BTM on it. Gives the ability to pull timing and keep your head gaskets in place. If you don't have the MSD, you better have a good tune to keep everything happy. Powerdyne does not have a great fuel system (also no airhat injectors), taxes the main 8 injectors very hard. You can get away without the MSD at 6psi, but at least get a BTM for it. This is the way the Paxton setup comes.

Barry

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Youngb said:
The main reason I would have the MSD is so I could put a BTM on it. Gives the ability to pull timing and keep your head gaskets in place. If you don't have the MSD, you better have a good tune to keep everything happy. Powerdyne does not have a great fuel system (also no airhat injectors), taxes the main 8 injectors very hard. You can get away without the MSD at 6psi, but at least get a BTM for it. This is the way the Paxton setup comes.

Barry
I'm starting to reconsider *LOL* Not that I'm not up for the job mind you, just that the Powerdyne is easy to install, but I'll have to rip out the Mopar PCM and replace the injectors in the thing to make it work..the other SCs you have to rip into the engine to much for my taste..

·
Registered
685 Posts
No, you won't have to go that far. Just install the thing. Mopar PCM will work fine for 6psi, and you shouldn't have to mess with the injectors. They are run a bit harder (duty cycle) but do not require new ones for 6psi. If you have the stock PCM, use it first and get it dialed in, then put the Mopar PCM in and adjust. Mopar has more agressive timing, so it is just easier for the stocker the first time. Just bolt it in and have fun. I would put a BTM in though. All superchargers are about the same work on the install, Powerdyne is a little bit easier because no oil lines have to be run.

Barry

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Youngb said:
No, you won't have to go that far. Just install the thing. Mopar PCM will work fine for 6psi, and you shouldn't have to mess with the injectors. They are run a bit harder (duty cycle) but do not require new ones for 6psi. If you have the stock PCM, use it first and get it dialed in, then put the Mopar PCM in and adjust. Mopar has more agressive timing, so it is just easier for the stocker the first time. Just bolt it in and have fun. I would put a BTM in though. All superchargers are about the same work on the install, Powerdyne is a little bit easier because no oil lines have to be run.

Barry[/QUOT

Problem is, there really is no other way to get the power you get from a SC. I was thinking along the lines of putting a torque converter in first though..I don't know, I'm thinking seriously about the SC..I really just don't want to blow my engine up, my father gave me this truck and I want to keep it for a long time, not blow it up :D
I was looking at torque converters too..get the power I do have to the ground better..

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
You could always save extra cash and spend it on a paxton. They come with absoulutley everthing. They are the best kit out there for the dakota.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
02graphiteR/T said:
You could always save extra cash and spend it on a paxton. They come with absoulutley everthing. They are the best kit out there for the dakota.
Hay man, where you at in NJ?? Same here, Southern NJ, near Deptford

Anyway, I've looked at all of them.

·
Speed Freak
269 Posts
I'm right outside of vineland. I live in pittsgrove. My g/f lives in west deptford.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
02graphiteR/T said:
I'm right outside of vineland. I live in pittsgrove. My g/f lives in west deptford.

Yup, know where vineland is..

Hay, you know anywhere that has a dyno around here??

1 - 20 of 23 Posts