Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Dakota that I bought a few months ago.The truck does not have power windows or door locks and I would like to install them.My question is do the wiring in trucks without the power windows and door locks or other power accessories do they have the plugs already?Can I go and get factory power window set up and door locks etc.... and just plug them in?I haven't pulled the interior out yet so I haven't looked for any empty plugs.
Thanks Sam

·
RobMR3
210 Posts
When I took my door panels off, all the wiring harnesses were there. Quick way to get a definite answer is to pull of your interior panels, and look for harnesses with white plastic tips. I just bought power mirrors and the switch, and plugged them in. 30 minutes, and I was done. Same thing when I added the light under my hood. Wiring was there, just had to buy the light and cover.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Rob,I haven't had time to pull my truck apart to check on those things yet.To many things going on right now with the holidays.But I want to start checking around wrecking yards for Dakota's and Durango's that got wrecked and start getting some parts.
Thanks Sam

·
RobMR3
210 Posts
Before you go to a junkyard, let me know. i need a couple of bits for my Dak, and no junkyards in the STL area have GenIII Daks yet.

O

·
0 Posts
Sounds like we're all on the same page. I found a Durango at a junk yard but I don't know if the door panels are compatible. Anybody know? Also, is there anyone who has already done this conversion, and is there anything else we need to know?

Ominous

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
Well if you want power windos, you need all the motors and mechanisms, not just the switches. Youll have to remove the factory crank setup and install the motors and roll-up module. Same thing on the locks too, youll need the lock motor and all the brackets and stuff. Power mirrors are a lot different because all the motors and stuff are right in the mirror, and yes most vehicles that have power locks and windows but dont have power mirrors have the wiring right there, but most that dont have power anything dont have ANY wiring in the doors. I know my 99 Dakota sport, didnt have any wiring in the door for locks, mirrors, or windows.

It can be converted, but it may take some work.

·
7,610 Posts
a shop i deal with converted a dak to power windows and locks w/ a remote for around $400.00 installed and warranty 1 yr, 2 for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts