Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was out doing some donuts in my parents field for like 2 min. and when I got done my power steering was gone. Not leaking any thing, full of fluid, pully turning fine, just no PS. Yall think I blew the pump out? Any one else done this? Thanks All.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Happened to my brother in his 4x4.

Nothin to do but replace the pump I'm afraid (as far as i know).

You might be able to do it yourself if you have the tools, but a shop shouldn't charge too much, only takes about 30 mins if you know what you are doing.

I dont really know what would happen to cause it to just blow out. wish i could be more help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply I have this up on 3 sites and you were the only one 2 respond :biggthump . I went to NAPA today and the pump without the resavor is only like $50 and I do have a haynes manual and a little common since, so I will do it my self.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I got a new pump put on today and everything works just like it should. :banana2: :toast: :D :woot: :woot: The shaft that connects the pully to the pump snaped in half and well the pump died. Any way I am happy with my self for doing the job myself. While I was working on the truck I replaced my TPS because it was flakey and I put a new cap and roter on. (what a bitch to get to get to) but it runs great. :mullet:

·
Trailer Trash
474 Posts
old thread but i did the same thing several months ago with mine. I was doing some donuts on fresh blacktop and when i got home there was a terrible noise that i could not hear cuz my 15"s were in my ears....

anyway i had the pump changed, right before i moved to colorado, seemed like everything was fine, till about a week after i got up here. It was leaking ps fluid all over, id go thru a bottle every couple weeks, and i dont drive it much, my bike is my ride of choice.

So i finally get around to doing something about it and i have it in the shop for a shitload of other things and the dood says that the fitting on the hose was bad, tried to get a new fitting but they dont just sell the fitting, not to mention the guy at the dodge house told him that the hoses have changed 3 times since the truck was put out, and they dont have that type of hose anymore, new hose is like 100 bux. :cussing:

·
Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
PhL0aTeR said:
the guy at the dodge house told him that the hoses have changed 3 times since the truck was put out, and they dont have that type of hose anymore, new hose is like 100 bux. :cussing:
***BS!***

I think your Mechanic is F*ckin with you. It might be a special order, but I'm sorry I was able to get a PS line for my 92 dak from the dealer a few months back. Theres no way a newer one wouldn't have one listed.

On the note of PS pumps. Today it seemed like I could hear mine (Like I was driving a FORD!) I checked the fluid it looked good. I am thinking of purdging it all and puttin some Royal Purple. Just afraid of how to 'drain' all the old crap out... Any ideas? I want the Rack emptied too, want ALL Syn in there!

·
Trailer Trash
474 Posts
in what way is he BSin me?

just curious, the reason i ask is, thus far this guy has done nothing but bend over backwards for me.... he installed 2 o2 sensors for free, cleared engine codes and tracked down 2 codes that turned out to be products of the o2 sensors being bad. He also "re-wired" (for free) the first o2 sensors that i had changed , he said they were hooked up with electrical tape, they were the universal type.

A month ago he quoted me $60 to install a remote start on my cavalier. Turned out he needed to buy 2 relays that werent included in the kit to the tune of $10. He also ran into some trouble with the wiring, and i needed to get a passkey bypass module, something we didnt think we needed since my key wasnt chipped. Told me that i could get it on ebay cheaper than he could get it for locally. So he still charged me $70 even tho it collectively took him about 3 hours to do.

Back to the truck.... Since its going to take 3 days for the part to get here, and it might snow on tuesday (i ride my bike mostly), he told me he would hook the leaking line back up and that it would leak about the same as it did, no more, and i could use it to and from work, and bring it back when he got the part. He is not charging me till the job is done, allowing me to take the truck and everything he has done with it so far, including install a remote start in it as well. So he has probably performed over $200 worth of work, but is allowing me to take the truck and trusting me to bring it back to him when the line gets in.

Anyways, you might see why i would beleive the guy in whatever he told me, so im looking for some insight on why i shouldnt beleive him.

·
Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
PhL0aTeR said:
Anyways, you might see why i would beleive the guy in whatever he told me, so im looking for some insight on why i shouldnt beleive him.
I was NOT knockin the mechanic... The "Dodge Parts House"... Some dealers have really really shady parts depts (Suzuki for one!) Alot of Dodge parts houses suck ass... I did NOT mean to bash thine mechanic... Even if I wrote it, it wasn't what I ment! :wave: :biggthump

YellaDakRT said:
I think your Mechanic is F*ckin with you.
Heh, Look at that! I sure did. Sorry man, I am R E A L L Y tired. Just got done pullin 6 10+ hr days... I'm smoked! :sorry:

·
G.F.Y racing president
6,587 Posts
try working 7, 13 hour days..... :drool: :snooze: :snooze:

thank god i got the weekend off...woohoo. did nothing but sleep this weekend. well, changed my trans fluid, but, went back to bed after that..lol

anyways, anyone need a power steering pump, with hoses, came off a 1992 ram with less that 3000 miles on it. lemme know. im sure the hoses can be bent a little to work/fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.