Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so im moving my truck around the yard. All is well. After 2 or 3 times of moving it i get in start it, the belt squeals and 0 power steering! Theres good fluid level. So being my first rack and pinion setup, is it the pump or rack? And is it ok to drive like it is?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody???

·
Registered
239 Posts
If the belt slips you will lose power steering, so it may not be the pump OR the rack. Remove the belt and check all the pullys for smooth turning, also check that the tensioner actually has tension in it.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
If the belt slips you will lose power steering, so it may not be the pump OR the rack. Remove the belt and check all the pullys for smooth turning, also check that the tensioner actually has tension in it.
Yup. What he said... The pump is what provides the power. Unless you have a massive power steering fluid leak, the pump is either not being turned as fast as it should be due to a loose/worn out belt or the pump is bad.

Good luck...

·
Premium Member
17,622 Posts
And yes it's safe to drive in that condition, will just be harder to turn the wheel. As long as the pulley is spinning freely. If the power steering pump pulley is seized you will want to buy a shorter belt to bypass it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks guys. Im sure its just the pump. It actually has good ps until it warms up. As the fluid warms up and thins the ps goes.

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Ok thanks guys. Im sure its just the pump. It actually has good ps until it warms up. As the fluid warms up and thins the ps goes.
It could be that you just need to replace your ps fluid. It doesn't last forever. I don't remember the change interval though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts